How do I exclude an issue type from the backlog in a next-gen project?

Lou Hill November 1, 2018

Our product team breaks down work into the hierarchy of:

Initiative > Epic > Story

In our new next-gen project we made an issue type called "Initiative."  Like with Epics, we do not want this issue type showing in the backlog.  We expect to see only "Stories" on the backlog.  How do we filter out tasks with a type of "Initiative" from showing on our backlog?  Is there an option we can select to "exclude from backlog" or a place to edit the query that populates the backlog?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2018

@Lou Hill, unless it has recently changed, and I can’t see where it has, you cannot do what you are wanting in NG projects. Feel free to provide Atlassian feedback via the give feedback link.

Lou Hill November 2, 2018

That's unfortunate news, and seems like a major oversight.  Filters/queries are the true backbone of Jira and has always been its power.  I will suggest this to Atlassian and hope it's added soon; in the meantime I will need to tell my staff to "ignore" those.  Thanks for the response.

Marcin March 1, 2021

@Lou Hill have you created a ticket for jira? I'd like to bump it coz I need the feature as well

Like Lou Hill likes this
Lou Hill March 1, 2021

@Marcin no I have not.  Still need the feature!

Like Marcin likes this
1 vote
Ryan Fish
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2018

@Lou Hill

The board is a view of the query. Exclude "Initiatives" in your query, ie project = projectname AND issuetype != "Initiative".

You can edit the filter at the top left and or change the view to stories only with the drop down 

Get started with next-gen projects

Using your Scrum backlog

Enjoy
Ryan

Lou Hill November 1, 2018

Ryan

Thank you for the quick response.  Pardon my confusion, but how do I see the filter?  Below is a screenshot of the top left of my backlog, where is the option to edit the query exactly?  Thanks for any help.

Lou

Jira Board Filter.jpg

Ryan Fish
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2018

@Lou Hill 
Utilizing the embedded pic from the how-to's,  you should be able to use the filter to do what you need. But it is a manual process.
Full disclosure, I am working on server and cloud instances but not NG as of yet, @Jack Brickey is correct.

JIRA-ng.PNG

Lou Hill November 2, 2018

@Ryan Fish interesting information.  Looks like the option #2 in your screenshot, I could use lables to filter my list, but that means I would have to put a "product" or something similar label on all stories.  As you said, very manual and prone for error.  (that is, if I followed what you were saying)  Now there is a "filter issues" option, I guess if I could figure out how to write an filter that removes Initiatives, that might work for the time being.  Ideally a global feature to do that.  Appreciate your repeated help!

Wubbe April 2, 2019

We recently started working with the Portfolio plug-in, this required creating the same hierarchy; Initiative -> Epic -> story.

When I exclude the Initiatives in the team boards they are not in the backlog but then they are excluded from the portfolio plan.

When I include the initiatieves in the team boards they are part of the portfolio plan but also included into the backlog.

Is there a way which includes this hierarchy in the portfolio plan but excludes this from the teams backlog?

Like Juanita Graham likes this
Lou Hill April 2, 2019

Though no good news to share, nice to see this thread still getting some type of activity.  Being a Product Manager not having "Initiative" level stories is painful at times.  Required by my leadership.  And still showing all over my backlog.  Hopefully Atlassian will add this soon to Next Gen Projects.  Just a simple "do not include in backlog" option perhaps.

Géza Balogh September 10, 2020

One year later, this feature seems to be still missing...

Like # people like this
Gonzalez_ Neri May 20, 2022

More than another year and still missing... :( 

Sean Kiefer September 26, 2022

Not sure if this applies to "next-gen" but I followed Ryan's suggestion, and was able to filter our Initiatives from my backlog from the Board Settings.

under General & Filter > Filter > Edit Filter Query then as `AND issuetype != Initiative` to your boards backlog filter

Like Ryan Fish likes this
0 votes
ericsocouber April 1, 2021

I managed to exclude Initiatives only from the sprint board by configuring the board (from dropdown at upper-right) and editing the Filter Query to include {{issuetype != Initiative}} per @Ryan Fish 's answer above. Initiatives still appear in Portfolio view as intended.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.47.47 PM.png

0 votes
Marcela Junyent
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2018

From your project's sidebar (search icon: magnifying glass  - view all issues (then switch to advance search) 

More Details:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/searching-for-issues-764478280.html

Suggest an answer