How do I efficiently use code boxes in the Jira comment editor?

William Faulk May 10, 2021

Let's say I want to enter some text in a code block in a Jira comment.

I type three backticks.

A code block appears and my cursor is placed inside it.

I enter some text, and now I want to end the code block. In normal markdown interaction, I would then put three backticks on a new line. But this just enters three backticks in the code block.

Okay. How about multiple returns? Nope, that's just more blank lines in the code block.

Shift-return? Nope. Just blank lines.

Escape? Nope. That closes the editor altogether.

Right-arrow? Nope. That selects the entire code block for some reason.

Down-arrow? Yep. That gets me out. Annoying, but at least there's some way to do it. So I type some more stuff after the code block and hit return to get to a new line.

Oh, whoops. There's a typo in the code block. Let me up-arrow into it. Nope. that skipped right past the code block and now my cursor is on the line above it. Down-arrow into it? Nope. Skipped right past it.

Left-arrow into it? Now I have a giant cursor to the right of the code block. Left arrow again? Now the whole code block is selected. Left arrow again? Hey, that did it. Now I can edit it.

Oh, nuts. That was the wrong code block all along. My cursor is at the end of the normal text below it now. I can just up,down,left,left to select the whole code block to delete it, right? So, up-arrow. Now I'm inside the code block? Pressing up-arrow when I'm at the end of the line does something different than when I'm at the beginning of the line? Whatever, I'll just highlight and delete.

Okay, now that that's done, I can paste this other code. Whoops. I forgot to create a code block first. Okay, highlight and click the "code snippet" button. Oh, that just created a new code block below the highlighted text instead of converting it.

I guess I'll just cut that code and paste it inside the code block. Nope. Now it's just all on one super-long line.

Fine. I'll copy it from the source again and paste it. Oh, I forgot to create the code block first again. Oh, the "How do I format markdown and use keyboard shortcuts in the Atlassian editor?" docs say that Cmd-Shift-M will convert it to a code block. Nope, that just styled it as monospace text.

Seriously, guys. This is all just about one single element. I don't understand how this many things can be wrong. And all to enable a WYSIWYG editing mode that software developers probably don't want to begin with.

Just abandon all of this and let me enter markdown directly without you interactively styling it and getting in my way, and then style it after the fact.

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

Hello @William Faulk 

Welcome to the community.

I encourage you to use the Feedback option within JIRA to ensure your comments get back directly to the Atlassian team.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 11.14.56 AM.png

William Faulk May 10, 2021

Thanks. I couldn't find that feedback link for some reason. I'll definitely do that.

Zeno February 27, 2022

@William Faulk you should know by now that the community section is purely cathartic in function and purpose. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events