How do I duplicate a project's settings and board settings into a new project?

Bina May 10, 2021

I've configured my company's projects (permissions, issues, components) and boards (columns, statuses, etc) a specific way and would like a way to copy over all settings into a new project. 

When I create a new project, even if I choose use shared settings, none of the settings actually come over. Also, there is no board either. If I don't use shared settings, a board will be created automatically. Either way, I need to go back and manually update all settings.

We are using Jira Software, the Standard Plan.

Steps that I take:

1. Create project. Choose Scrum

2. Pick company managed project template

3. Enter a project name and selected "Share settings with an existing project"

4. Choose a project whose settings I'd like to duplicate

At this point, my project is created, but none of my components came over. I also don't have a board in this project, so I have to go back to another project to access the boards dropdown, create a board and assign it to my new project. But this board doesn't have any of the same columns or settings (filters, labels, etc) as my other boards. So I have to manually add those as well.

Am I missing a step here? I am confused as to why when I select share settings, none of my settings are actually shared. 

2 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

Hello @Bina 

Welcome to the community.

With Company Managed projects, boards are based on filters that can span multiple projects or even show only a subset of issues in a project. There can also be multiple boards that reference a single Company Managed project. Therefore, the system is not capable of discerning which board(s) might need to be created for your new project and create them for you automatically.

The functionality of sharing settings between projects shares only the information that is managed from a shared location and administered by the JIRA Administrators. Concerning Components, those are specific to a given Company Managed project. They are managed by the administrators of that project, and within that project, vs. being managed as a sharable list administered by the JIRA Administrators. Therefore they are not part of the information used to set up new projects when using the "Share settings with an existing project" option.

The settings that are shared include  Issue Type schemes, Workflows, Field configurations, Screens, Notifications schemes, and Permission Schemes

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

Hi Bina - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First, you need to realize that this is not a "Copy Project"  or "Clone Project" function.  It is just that it shares some of the the same schemes. That's about it. 

So, Components are unique to a project - as are People. So neither of those will be duplicated from other projects. You will need to add those to the new project. 

For the board, you can simple copy the board from the first first project and just replace the filter that the board is based on. It's a pretty quick process. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events