How do I do a not equals operator in the advanced search?

Hi, I've tried several different ways but can't figure it out. All I want to do is create a field where if the value in it does not equal "backlog" it shows on my kanban board. I've tried using the != and !~ operators but neither work properly with the text field I've created. Any idea how I do this?

Thanks

Ann

1 answer

My only that that if this is a 'label' type field then you have to do 'not in (backlog)'. The values you put should work though. Can you give me the details of the field? Is it a text 255 field?

Thanks for responding Luther. I'm literally trying to do a pretty simple thing I thought. But I think I may have figured out the issue. I've been creating a text field where I can put a value in it and then try to do a does not equal operator to exclude all the other items that don't have that value. Does the != and !~ operators not find empty or null values? I think that's what my problem has been. I assumed that if I had a field called Phase and put in a value of backlog that if I did

Phase = backlog I'd get all the backlog items

Phase != backlog I get nothing. So does != not give any empty or null values for text fields?

Try using 'is EMPTY'. That would be the way to show issues that have null values in text fields.

But I don't want to show only the empty values. I want to basically exclude anything that has backlog for phase. Other stories may have launch or alpha. What I want to do is create a filter that will return everything where phase does not equal backlog. That includes other values AND nulls. Any ideas on how to do that?

Phase!= "backlog" OR Phase is empty

That worked. thanks!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Mar 28, 2018 in Jira Software

Can a company’s culture make or break agile adoption?

Can a new-to-agile team survive and thrive in a non-agile culture? If so, what advice would you give to those trying to be agile in a non-agile culture? What's the key(s) to success? Share your thoug...

12,076 views 15 13
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you