How do I do a not equals operator in the advanced search?

Ann Tebo March 2, 2014

Hi, I've tried several different ways but can't figure it out. All I want to do is create a field where if the value in it does not equal "backlog" it shows on my kanban board. I've tried using the != and !~ operators but neither work properly with the text field I've created. Any idea how I do this?

Thanks

Ann

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Luther Hargrove
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2014

My only that that if this is a 'label' type field then you have to do 'not in (backlog)'. The values you put should work though. Can you give me the details of the field? Is it a text 255 field?

Ann Tebo March 3, 2014

Thanks for responding Luther. I'm literally trying to do a pretty simple thing I thought. But I think I may have figured out the issue. I've been creating a text field where I can put a value in it and then try to do a does not equal operator to exclude all the other items that don't have that value. Does the != and !~ operators not find empty or null values? I think that's what my problem has been. I assumed that if I had a field called Phase and put in a value of backlog that if I did

Phase = backlog I'd get all the backlog items

Phase != backlog I get nothing. So does != not give any empty or null values for text fields?

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Luther Hargrove
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2014

Try using 'is EMPTY'. That would be the way to show issues that have null values in text fields.

Ann Tebo March 3, 2014

But I don't want to show only the empty values. I want to basically exclude anything that has backlog for phase. Other stories may have launch or alpha. What I want to do is create a filter that will return everything where phase does not equal backlog. That includes other values AND nulls. Any ideas on how to do that?

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2014

Phase!= "backlog" OR Phase is empty

Like # people like this
Ann Tebo March 5, 2014

That worked. thanks!

Mounika October 25, 2018

Working with above @Normanbird's Solution. Thank you

Suggest an answer