How do I create an Epic on a JIRA software project.

Sezal Jain
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 22, 2018

I am not getting any options to switch on epic panel in backlog anywhere.

When I go to project settings, and select issue type, there are no actionables on that screen for me.

How can I create an epic in this case for issues in that project.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2018

Hi Sezal, I suggest you check two things...first, verify that your project uses the issue type "epic" by opening the project, going to Settings, then Issue Types. If epics are available for the project you will see them there.  If not you'll need to click the Actions button and either edit the issue types or select a different scheme.

Second, check the backlog filter by opening the Backlog, clicking the ellipses in the top right corner, and selecting Board Settings, then Edit Filter Query. There is a column for Type, click the drop down arrow and either select "All" or add Epic to it. 

That's where I'd start, hope this helps.

-Scott

Edit: I now see that you don't have any actionables under the edit issue types in Project Settings. That function may be reserved for your Jira Admin; if you are not the project admin or in the administrators group you my not have access to make these changes., so you will need to contact your Jira Admin.

0 votes
Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2018

Hi Sezal,

You're correct. Agility project in beta doesn't support epic today, but we have plans to bring this feature to you in the near future.

In the meantime, labels can help you group works into certain features or themes. You can also do this in bulk action to save time. Just select multiple cards on the board to add labels by following these steps:

1. Press command and select multiple cards 

2. Click on meatball menu on any selected card

3. Add label

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 8.39.10 am.png

If this doesn't meet  your need, please tell us a bit more about your use case so we can take it into account.

Cheers,

Erika

Stefan Eigener July 29, 2018

Hello @er, any news on when the epics will be available in Agility projects?

Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Sezal Jain
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 22, 2018

Hey Scott,

Thanks for your response, I did what you said and checked if I had admin rights for that project. I did have admin rights. So I figured out the issue by comparing two different projects I had. 

One was in agility board and the other one was in scrum. I had been trying to add epic in the agility project, which was proving difficult as when I would go to issue types.. it would just show me one: Story, without any options to change or add to it.

When I looked in the scrum project, it was giving all options you had mentioned above and also the option to add epic in backlog. So I am realising that epics are not offered at the moment in agility dashboard (lightweight?).

I have created the new project in scrum instead. Thanks a lot for your reply

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2018

You're welcome, glad I could help!

-Scott

Suggest an answer