How do I create a scrum board filter query that includes all sub-tasks of the resulting stories?

Carl Fischer March 22, 2013

Hi -

We have three teams: A, B, and C, each of which have their own Jira projects and Scrum boards. Stories that cross teams are in a 4th project, R. R tickets include sub-tasks for the work on the different teams. Some R tickets have subtasks for A, B, and C, some for A and B, some for A and C, etc.

Getting the R tickets onto the individual team Scrum boards was easy enough - just expand the filter query of the A - C boards to include project R.

The issue I have is trying to scope the R tickets that appear on the A - C boards to those that actually apply to to that team - ie team A's board should only contain R tickets that apply to team A.

I tried setting labels like "A" and "B" on the R ticket and adding a matching clause to the filter query of the A - C boards, ie "project = R and labels in (A)" for the A board.

However that filters out all the sub-tasks, presumably b/c they do not have the "A" - "C" labels. I've noticed the same thing with filter clauses that exclude completed statuses. Since sub-tasks only exist in the context of their parent ticket why does the board's filter query apply to them?

Is there a better way to do what I want? My preference is to do the A - C team classification at the R story level rather than sub-task since the the latter are managed by individual developers so we keep them as lightweight as possible.

tia

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Carl Fischer March 24, 2013

If you add a more complicated set of clauses to the A - C board filters, like...

(project = A) or ((project = R and issuetype = Story and labels in (A)) or (project = R and issuetype in (subTaskIssueTypes()))

...that appears to do what I was looking for. Would be nice to have it as a filter query rather than in the board filter, but since we have per-team boards that isn't a must have.

Note that if you use swimlanes by assignee in Work view in my example team A's board will include swimlanes for users from other teams if they have subtasks assigned to them on a story that affects team A. This is actually preferable for us, but ymmv.

Still interested if someone sees a better way or potential pitfalls with this approach

0 votes
Carl Fischer March 31, 2013

My answer above did the job

Suggest an answer