How do I create a NEW section in Scrum/Kanban board

rebekah.ettedgui
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 11, 2019

Hi there,

I would like to be able to split the backlog items into key sections. Here's an example of what we wish to achieve:

• Backlog
  • Ready for refinement
  • Ready for development(DOR)

How can I do the above using a Scrum/Kanban board?

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Inactive Stephen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2019

Hi @rebekah.ettedgui

There's no specific functionality to split a backlog into multiple pieces - the intent of the backlog is to house work which is not started.

I appreciate these statuses are non-working statuses - I guess it depends on how you measure progress.

There are a few options I've seen used in the past:

Multi-Board:

1. Create two boards - one for pre-development, one for development. Make the pre-development board Kanban - either for development.
  2. On the Kanban board, place pre-DOR statuses - such as Backlog, Ready for Refinement, BA Refinement, etc
  3. Make the last column "Ready for Development"
  4. On the Scrum board, make the first column "Ready for Development', and the rest of the statuses mapped out across the sprint board.

^ This allows for multiple "Backlog" views. The last column / first column becomes the conduit between the two boards to show completion in one and commencement in the other. So in your instance:

• Backlog: This is the Kanban Backlog
  • Ready for Refinement: If this is the first status on the active Kanban board, it will appear in the Kanban Backlog also above the main list
  • Ready for Development: This is completion in pre-development and will be the Scrum board's backlog

Scrum Backlogs:

1. Create a Scrum Board
  2. Create two sprints of infinite length (eg. months / years) - name one "Ready for Refinement" and one "Ready for Development"
  3. Create either sprints for the teams to use above - or a further long sprint to allow for issues to be dropped onto the active board if using Kanban

^ This uses the sprint option to break-up the backlog and still allows you to use Kanban if you prefer over Scrum using an active sprint as the conduit between backlog and board.

For this option, just bear in mind your reporting is likely to be less useful - so might need to report externally using the data.

Ste

Suggest an answer