How do I copy all the comments to a new task?

Niklas Zarnecke May 6, 2022

Hello,

I'm currently struggeling to copy the comments from an old task to a new one.
This is important for automated moving of task in our service management.

I would like to build an easy button for our service desk workers to move the task to another project, but all that is missing right now are the comments.

Is there any good way to copy the comments into the new created tasks?

Best Regards
Niklas

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2022

Hi @Niklas Zarnecke 

You could potentially do this with automation:

AUTOMATION 1: Create your Clone

This would be a simple automation rule to create the clone.  Main thing would be adding a link like clones or blocks so you have a point of reference to get back to the source issue for the comments later.

AUTOMATION 2: Copy Comments

• TRIGGER: Issue Created
  • ACTION: Lookup Issue
    • issueIsClonedBy = {{issue}}
  • BRANCH:  Advanced
    • {{lookupIssues.comments}}
    • ACTION: Add Comment

Here's an example of how this rule could look:

2022-05-06_09-47-03.png

Niklas Zarnecke May 6, 2022

Hi @Mark Segall

thanks for your answer! Some logical thing is missing for me right now.. the second automation isn't triggered right now.

This is the first rule:

1.PNG

And this is the second one:

2.PNG

I'm pretty new to the automation stuff.. I'm not getting why and how the second Automation is triggered.

Best Regards
Niklas

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2022

Under Rule Details, you may need to check the box:

Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2022

Also looking at your screenshot, you're calling your variable for the advanced branch kommentare, but you copy/pasted my variable name.  So, in your add comment, you'll want to replace the references to varComment with kommentare

Niklas Zarnecke May 8, 2022

Hey @Mark Segall

the automation is now triggered by creating a new issue. But there are no comments found. Here is what the audit log says:3.PNG

It seems like he cannot find the issue.

Best Regards
Niklas

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2022

Can you please share a screenshot of your lookup Issues action?

Niklas Zarnecke May 9, 2022

Here is the screenshot:

4.PNG

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2022

In your clone issue action on the first rule, did you add the "link Issue" field?  You'll need to make sure your cloned issue is linking to the trigger issue.  If not, you're creating the issue, but there is no link between it and the source issue.

Niklas Zarnecke May 10, 2022

Thanks! Now it's working. You really helped me!

Like Mark Segall likes this
Howell_ Adrianna January 19, 2023

Your options appear to be more vast than mine; is this in the cloud instance or Data Center Version?

Niklas Zarnecke January 20, 2023

Hi @Howell_ Adrianna 

we are using the cloud instance.

Best Regards
Niklas

Howell_ Adrianna January 20, 2023

THank you Niklas.  I have been unable to resolve this using the Data Center Version as the capabilities are not the same, even for the Automation plug-in.

Jimmy Catuara March 1, 2023

@Mark Segall I copied your automation verbatim, but for some reason it takes all of the comments on the original issue, combines them, and adds them all as one comment on the newly created issue. For clarity, I did not create Automation 1. I am manually cloning the issue and bringing over links so it has a way back to the source. Any ideas?

Copy Comments.pngComments Separated.pngCombined Comments.png

0 votes
Michal H. October 5, 2022

Hi,

this is good usefull idea but I need copy comments between two existing issues and then delete one issue. Just comments. Have you any idea for that? Thx.

Mike

Suggest an answer