How do I configure initiatives?

Melissa Klein December 2, 2022

I'm looking to configure initiatives and versions into my current JIRA instance to eventually create a robust Advanced Roadmap. I cannot figure out how to properly set up initiatives. 

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

Hello @Melissa Klein 

Welcome to the community.

Your post is tagged that you are using the Standard plan. Advanced Roadmaps is available only with the Premium and Enterprise plans. Are you actually using one of those plans? If so, this document explains how to set up the custom issue hierarchy.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-custom-hierarchy-levels-in-advanced-roadmaps/

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 2.16.17 PM.png I thought I was using a Premium plan! Aren't these "plans" advanced roadmaps? These are 3 I created as tests

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

That does look like Advanced Roadmaps. You should follow the documentation both @Trudy Claspill and I supplied.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2022

Hello @Melissa Klein 

I see your response to @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_  that you've read the article a few times.

Have you completed those instructions? Are you able to create Initiative issues in your project? What exactly are you struggling with?

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2022

Hello @Melissa Klein ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Instructions for setting up the custom hierarchy in Advanced Roadmaps follow:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-custom-hierarchy-levels-in-advanced-roadmaps/

Hi Robert, thank you! I've actually read that article a few times. I wanted to set up initiatives so that every time we create a new epic we can attach it to an initiative. Then I want to create an advanced roadmap where it will all pull in. Does that make sense? Is that even the best way to do that?

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2022

So, what I hear is that you want to establish the following hierarchy:

1. Initiative

2. Epic

3. Story

4. Subtask

You can establish this in Advanced Roadmaps and associate that hierarchy to a plan so the work and progress are visible.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events