How do I clone a task to another project under a specific epic?

helen.maijub May 24, 2023

I want to clone a task to a specific epic under a different project (bare minimum) and if possible also mirror the activity on that task regardless of which project I'm working from.

3 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi Helen - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can create an automation rule that will Clone the issue into a separate project and use a specific Epic for the newly created issue. Is that what you are wanting to do? 

helen.maijub May 26, 2023

Yes! @John Funk how would I go about setting that up? i know Luka below shared it but wiht deep clone. a) how do i do it without that b) if i do it with deep clone it only has 10 users. does that mean i can only give access to the projects to 10 people? sorry clearly a newbie ;)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2023

Let's start with what would trigger the creation of the clone. Would you be transitioning the issue to another status and that should cause the clone to get created? Or are you updating a field on the issue? Or something else? 

And how will it know which Epic to make as the parent of the new issue? Will you hardcode that Epic key in the Epic Link field? Or will you want to get it in another manner? 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

Hello @helen.maijub 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

You could potentially accomplish this through use of an automation rule. However it would have to be a multi-project/Global rule, and those can be created only by a Jira Administrator.

If the destination project/epic might vary, you would need a field in the source issue where you could enter the destination Epic.

Then you would trigger the automation rule on the source issue manually.

The automation rule would be able to clone the issue to the destination Epic.

To mirror activities from one issue to the other you would need 1..n separate rules depending on exactly what activities you wanted to mirror.

0 votes
Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

Hi @helen.maijub and welcome!

Directly cloning to another project/epic is not possible by default. A simple solution is to clone the task first, then move it to a different project and assign the epic.

If you don't want to do this manually or if you want to clone many tasks at once, I can recommend Deep Clone for Jira, which supports your requirement.

Hope this helps.

helen.maijub May 24, 2023

Thank you much! That's good to know. At bare minimum, if i wanted to clone to a different project under a specific epic. Is that possible? If so, are you able to share how?

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2023

@helen.maijub As @John Funk and @Trudy Claspill of course correctly pointed out, you can probably achieve your goal with an automation rule as well. Please see their responses above.

Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2023

@Michel Neeser Thank you very much for recommending Deep Clone for Jira.

@helen.maijub Welcome to the community! You can indeed use Deep Clone for Jira to clone issues under a specific epic by using the Clone and Edit feature to set the Epic Link field when cloning the issue.

Deep Clone Jira_Set Epic Link.gif

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events