How do I change the type from a defect to story?

Michael Mullin April 30, 2014

Hello,

I made a mistake and instead of creating a story, I created a 'defect'. You are not able to 'edit' this section under 'edit'. It is not the first time this has happened, it seems easy to do by accident. How do I change the type from a defect to story?

Actually, this first response worked. I figured it out thanks!!!

4 answers

1 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted
George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2014

Hi Michael,

You can change the issue type by moving the issue to the same project but selecting a new issue type. This can be achieved by opening the issue and then selectin More Actions > Move: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Moving+an+Issue

An alternative for multiple issues you can use bulk move: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Modifying+Multiple+%28Bulk%29+Issues

ayulit November 9, 2018

Thanks, it helps!

Cindy.Zhang July 3, 2019

It works for me. Thanks

0 votes
rafi shaik April 21, 2020

click on More button and select issue type as current issue ->New issue type drop down list select bug and click on next, next. 

0 votes
Anna A Prisacari August 16, 2019

The "more actions" button is today "Tools". Click on "Tools" dropdown menu located in the top right corner and select all issues then follow the steps to indicate that you want to switch the type of issue (e.g., from Defect to Story).

0 votes
Prem Kumar January 24, 2017

In the bug, click on More button and select "Convert to SubTask" and then in the next page add Parent issue/story and in Select Sub-task Type: row select Story Bug in the dropdown, by default story task is selected. Next follow the steps and the bug will be converted to story bug and can see the bug under story

Suggest an answer