¿How do I change the error message got during a wrong workflow movement?

Nacho García-Robledo June 4, 2021

I have set a workflow on my board to prevent any issue to be moved to DONE if it has any of its subtasks not done.

I've tried to configure Screens but none of them refers to the subtasks.

I could set one generic and when trying to move to Done the issue with not the 100% of the subtasks completed, I get this message (which is not clarifying to the user what is missing)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssss.PNG

Any clue of how to clarify what is missing to the user?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2021

Hi Nacho - In Jira Cloud there is a condition called Sub-Task Blocking Condition that you can apply to the transition to Done. I would suggest you add that. 

Hi John, thanks for the asnwer.

Do you know if it can it be used in Jira Software?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2021

It would apply to Company-managed projects and Business Projects. 

Nacho García-Robledo June 6, 2021

Hello John, I think this is what I have already set on my project workflow.

And it works.

Problem is that I don't know how to configure the "error message" when the automatism prevents the card to move to Finish as the conditio is not accomplished.

Currently I only get the message I posted on the orginal question which is not clarfying at all about what is happening.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

Only the error messages for validators are configurable by admins in the workflow.

Nacho García-Robledo June 7, 2021

Hi Nic, thanks for the answer.

I am admin but to be honest, I don't know how to modify that message that pops up with a generic text.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

You can't change the messages in the workflow, apart from the ones in validators that support it (validators return a pass or fail, but some can be configured to pass text back with a "fail", which goes on screen in front of the user to tell them why validation fails - that will come out in REST call responses and automation logs too)

There's no way to change the messages for conditions, permission and transition-not-there failures.

Nacho García-Robledo June 7, 2021

Thanks a lot Nic.

I hope Atlassian upgrades this feature as I think is really useful.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2021

How exactly have you done

"I have set a workflow on my board to prevent any issue to be moved to DONE"

I ask because there are several ways you might do this (and that list varies if you are using team-managed or company-managed projects), and we need to know which method you've used so we can suggest where to look for a message change.

Project template used is "busiess project" which I guess is team managed project.

This broguth the opportunity to create this "rule" to restrict that transition in the desired cases (when not all the subtasks are completed),

I have set it up as follows:

Project Settings>Workflows> and the one I configured is: 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssss.PNG

And then, on the transition (for example) from PENDING REVIEW to DONE,I've set following conditon:

bbbbbb.PNG

ccccc.PNG

And it works: it does not allow any issue to move to done without accomplishing that condition.

The problem is that there is no chance to set up a pop up with text or something to clarify to the user that he cannot move the card because of this reason

Like IOT IOT likes this

Suggest an answer