How do I change field text and display for priority and estimate

AJ Palmer February 3, 2020

Hello All,
I have a few things related to this which I'd like to bundle into this one post as I feel they are all related, however correct me if I am wrong in doing this. 
1) My company would like to completely remove the option to see or use "Priority" in Jira Classic.
How do I go about doing this if I don't have that field associated to any screens which are for my project?
2) My company wants to see "Story Points" instead of "Estimate", though "Estimate" only shows during the quick-view panel which opens up when you click on an issue from the backlog. When you go to the Issue itself you see "Story Points" like expected. 
I don't see anything related to "Estimate" on my field configuration or screens. So why is this the case and can I change it? Am I just looking in the wrong location?
3) I have made a custom field called "Tags (Select List)" which I have showing up on my field configuration and also screens associated to my project. However I only see this if the field is populated AND I am looking at the issue itself, as it does not display when opening up the quick-view of the ticket from the backlog.
How do I change this so that I can see the field from the backlog quick-view?

Below is what I am referencing for the issue view of just the issue itself, normally opened in a new tab when clicking on the key-# pair. 

2020-02-03_14-40-29.png

Below is what I am referencing for "Quick-View", it's the column/tab which pops up on the right hand side when clicking on an issue from the backlog or the board itself. If this has another term please let me know.

2020-02-03_14-40-09.png

2 answers

0 votes
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2020

Hello @AJ Palmer ,

You should be able to configure the visibility of the fields and the layout (position) in the issue layout configuration. To access this you can click on the 'Project settings' and visit the 'Issue layout' page (found in the sidebar). There you can find the visual configurations for every issue type: you can hide fields and change their position

AJ Palmer February 4, 2020

I will look into this and follow up again later.

Thank you Fernando!

AJ Palmer February 4, 2020

2020-02-04_7-46-58.png

This is what I see from "Project > Project Settings > Issue Layout" and rearranging this does not seem to change anything for me on either the quick-view or issue view itself. 

Nor did this screen give me the option to rename anything. 

Am I in the right place?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2020

You can't re-arrange the issue view screen beyond the order of the custom fields that are not pulled out into their own areas (dates, people etc)

However, you can almost remove priority - go to the field configurations and hide it in all of them.

To swap to story points, change your boards to use them instead of estimates.  You'll probably want to remove estimates from the screens.

Your tag field will only appear in the view screen once it has data.  This is an attempt to de-clutter the issue view!

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
AJ Palmer February 10, 2020

Good Morning Nic,

Sorry for the delay!

I can't seem to pull fields out into their own areas, as you said it. I can't group or arrange them which is odd. Even if I swap their position it doesn't seem to do much of anything on the customers end. 

Almost removing priority though, it would seem if I "hide" the field, it will also hide it for any other projects using that field. Were as I just wanted it hidden for this 1 project. What's strange about this is that the field is not set to show up on any screens which are related to the project I am trying to hide it from.

Thanks,
AJ

0 votes
AJ Palmer February 3, 2020

I would like to apologize for formatting, I kept running into errors publishing this question for some reason. 

If there was anything I was not clear on or something which I said using the wrong vocab please correct me so I can better myself and thus carry that improvement to those around me.

Thank you so much,

AJ

Suggest an answer