How do I bulk change on a set of Epics Workflow Status?

Ryan Keels May 16, 2023

I have a bunch of Epics that were migrated from one project to another. 

They still retain their previous workflow designation, AKA scoped/backlog/etc. 

For this new project I would like to bulk roll them back to a status of 'New'

When I try to do this the bulk change interface only allows me to push them forward. 

Can anymore help me easily do this bulk change?

3 answers

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Hello @Ryan Keels 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

The bulk change feature is limited to the transitions that are valid and available in the workflow. Are you able to manually change the status of a single Epic to New? If not, then the design of the current workflow doesn't allow that change either to anybody, or there is a condition that prevents it from being available to you.

In those cases either the workflow needs to be changed or, if it is a condition that is blocking the transition, the condition needs to be met.

Are you working with issues in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Are you a Project Administrator for the project? Are you a full Jira Administrator?

1 vote
Teresa_DevSamurai
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Hello and welcome to the community. I've written a blog about bulk changes, which you can find here

In this case,

• You should first double-check your permission to ensure that you have full permission.
  • The limit for Jira bulk change is set to 1000 issues
  • Create a JQL search filter to identify the Epics you want to roll back.

{project = "Your New Project name" AND issuetype = Epic AND status != Done}

It depends on your workflow, and continue to change this status

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 11.31.09.png

0 votes
Ryan Keels May 19, 2023

Thanks for the replies, I was able to bulk migrate subsets of Epics in the same workflow category to the next step and then eventually back to knew. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events