Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do I automate the epic creation, under the epic create task/issue and subtasks?

Edited

Hello I am trying to create a JIRA Automation rule but got stuck at the subtask creation level, can somebody help me with this, this is the requirement.

There are two projects Project-A & Project-B, there is a "Create-Task" custom dropdown field with the options "Yes" & "No" in project-A.

Output Should be...
When the user selects the option "Yes" in the Create-Task field(Project-A), the rule should run at the back-end and perform the following actions in Project-B.

1. First, go to Project-A, open the task, and choose "Yes" in the "Create-Task" drop-down field.
2. Then copy the summary of the Project-A task.
3. Then Create one epic, in Project-B and paste the same summary (summary of the Project-A task) into the summary field.
4. Then create one task in the same epic(Add epi link to the task).
5. Then Create sub-tasks in the same task(Which is created in step-4).

Rule-1.pngRule-2.pngRule-3.png

1 answer

Hi @StnVikas Dhanorkar  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The rule images you posted do not seem to match the use case you describe.  Perhaps try to find a screen grab extension for your browser which will grab the entire rule image by scrolling the view and then post that in one image.

Also please note: this rule will need to be global/multi-project in scope, so confirm your licensing level will support running such rules.  You appear to be on a free license and so that has a very limited number of global rule executions per month.

Until then, I believe the use case you describe is possible, but I am unclear why you have an advanced branch on {{issueSummary}} in there.  What is the purpose of that?

Perhaps try:

• trigger: value changes for "Create Task" field
  • condition: "Created Task" equals Yes
  • action: create Epic in your other project, accessing the fields from {{triggerIssue}} as needed (there is no need to put those into created variables)
  • action: create Task in your other project, and set the epic link using {{createdIssue.key}} to link to the just created epic
  • branch: most recently created issue (which now points to the Task)
    • action: create subtasks...

Kind regards,
Bill

Thanks Bill,
Thanks for sharing the steps, my problem got solved using {{createdIssue.key}}.

About advanced branch on {{issueSummary}} - It is copying the summary of Project-A task, and i am using the same summary in the newly created Epic Summary.

About license thing, yes, we have purchased license version and we are just doing R&D on trial versions.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,228 views 35 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you