How do I add a subtasks dropdown feature on a regular Kanban board?!

Luke May 17, 2023

I have never seen this before!

Stumbled across this on a very old, archived project, set up as a sort of Project Management board. I was just doing some spring cleaning and saw it and loved it.

How can I take just this feature (the subtasks dropdown within the actual ticket on the board – see below) and add it into a regular 'software development' type kanban?!

jira1.jpgjira2.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2023

Hello @Luke 

Your screen images are from a Work Management type of project, which is a different project architecture/use case than the Software type of project.

The particular feature you are talking about is unique to the Work Management (a.k.a. Business) project type. There is no ability to enable that in the boards that are created for Software type projects.

Luke May 18, 2023

Aww that's a shame – I'm tempted to make it a feature request as it's so handy! (Or would be for our organizational setup.) 

Thanks for letting me know though. 😊

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2023

hmmm, those screenshots are unfamiliar to me. would it be possible to share a full screenshot so that I might better understand where these are being viewed?

Luke May 17, 2023

Did some hunting around and after a while created a similar style board by going into the project management template options at the Create project stage. See screenshot below. 

Might be something to do with the template type? Jira can be really confusing sometimes! When setting it up it does not have a 'business' option as a template but in project settings it shows 'Project type' as 'Business'. 

I'm surprise that Jira tucks away different features for various templates like this with no apparent rationale. Be good if there's a way to enable such a feature for normal Kanban boards.

jira-pm.jpg

jira-biz.jpg

jira-subtasks.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2023

@Luke , Trudy's assessment is indeed the reason for the different behaviors. Cheers!

Like Luke likes this
Luke May 18, 2023

Thanks Jack! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events