How do I add a sub-task issue type in next-gen issue type when it has previously been deleted?

Emma Webb July 5, 2019

Our team decided not to use the new sub-task issue type and I deleted it. We now wish to use them but the option is no longer available in this particular project. I can of course create a new issue type and call it a subtask but it doesn't sit below other issue types in a hierarchy, which is what we now want.

2 answers

0 votes
Brad Zellman April 15, 2021

I'm seeing that same thing. I've created the subtask type in the system panel and it's visible on "Classic" projects, but next-gen projects do not allow me to create a custom subtask type. Hopefully just a glitch and not a new "feature"

0 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2019

Hi @Emma Webb 

Did you delete the issue type completely from your system or just the project itself? 

I deleted the sub-task from a project itself not the system and I was able to add it back to the project with the following steps: 

1. In project settings you'll see the + Add Issue Type
  2. When you select this you'll have the option to Add Issue Type or Create Issue Type selecting create issue type only allows you to create an Issue Type not a Sub-task.

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 4.54.42 PM.png

If you deleted it from the system you'll need to follow the below steps I've done these all in images. 

1. I clicked on the Jira image to get to this sectionScreen Shot 2019-07-06 at 5.06.18 PM.png
  2. After clicking on Jira settings you'll want to navigate to the 'Issues' section.Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 5.04.32 PM.png
  3. You'll then see the option for Sub-tasks if Sub-task is no longer there you can recreate it here and name it Sub-task if there isn't already an existing Sub-task.Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 5.04.38 PM.png

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any clarification on anything shown above. 

Emma Webb July 11, 2019

Thanks very much for getting back to me @Brittany Wispell

I hadn't deleted it from the system, no - it's available in other projects.

Unfortunately, within this particular project, when I click "Add issue type" the option to Add is not then presented to me - I can only create a new issue type, which of course doesn't function as a subtype. In other projects (where I hadn't previously deleted the subtask issue type), the Add option is available to me.

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2019

Hi @Emma Webb 

What type of project are you trying to add the sub-task to? 

Emma Webb July 15, 2019

Next-gen

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2019

@Emma Webb 

Sorry I worded that wrong. What project template are you using in for the next gen project? 

Emma Webb July 15, 2019

Kanban

Emma Webb July 15, 2019

Thanks for your continued help!

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2019

Hi @Emma Webb 

Do you know your exact steps that you did to delete the sub-task initially? I just created a next-gen Kanban project, deleted the sub-task issue type and went to add it and it is still there able to add back after deleting it. 

Do you know if any other projects have this issue? 

You're welcome! 

Emma Webb July 16, 2019

Hi @Brittany Wispell  

Thanks again! I have just created a new test project and replicated the steps I took - and the sub-task is available after deletion just as you describe. For some reason, it just isn't there in my original project- I guess it's just a weird glitch. I'm going to use a new project and move all the tickets over and stop worrying about it!

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2019

Hi @Emma Webb 

Sorry I couldn't be more help in figuring out what exactly happened! 

I can't find anything that suggests it could be a bug in the Atlassian Support portal. 

I'll ping some other in the Atlassian community to see if anyone else is experiencing this. 

Emma Webb July 16, 2019

Thanks @Brittany Wispell . Don't worry - it's just one of those things. Perhaps I did something ridiculous and just can't remember...

john gurman March 23, 2021

nothing ridiculous.  I cannot add a new sub task type either... was this resolved?

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2021

I don't believe so @john gurman 

From what we tested it seemed to be a weird glitch. 

What is your current use case? 

-Brittany

john gurman March 25, 2021

My use case for multiple subtask types is pretty straight forward.  we have two types of subtask.  The tech subtask, which is the work breakdown of the task, and sprint bug, which is a bug resulting from the implementation of the task.  

kenb April 10, 2021

The option to create new subtasks is not present. I've looked in numerous projects and under all levels of settings. Was this removed recently perhaps?

Suggest an answer