How do I add a custom field to Release Notes in JIRA WEB, if possibe?

Alex Hurtado March 22, 2018

Disclaimer: *I'm totally new to JIRA and the programming world*

I am trying to get my custom field to show when I generate release notes. I tried following the directions on this link.

I was able to get as far as creating the custom field to show up when creating tickets. I can't figure out how to modify the velocity template. We're using JIRA Software web only, nothing installed locally. Is this functionality possible? Thank you all.

2 answers

1 vote
Marko Filipan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2018

Hi Alex,

I understand you have JIRA Cloud and want to add release notes containing release comments.

Please note the Developer article you are following is not applicable to the JIRA Cloud, you need to have local JIRA Server installation in order to access and modify Velocity templates.

Cheers,
Marko Filipan

Alex Hurtado March 24, 2018

Marko,

Thank you for your response. I started doing some research while waiting for an answer to this question and came to the same conclusion. We have a small team of about 15-17. I was thinking that maybe JIRA Confluence would be better to suit my needs. Any better suggestions??

Thanks again!

-Alex

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2018

The release note function in Jira was written to be quite simple (because everyone has very different needs from it) and output something designed to be copied and pasted into other systems to be tidied up before publication.

Confluence would be a good choice for that.

Alex Hurtado March 29, 2018

I'm currently playing around with the Confluence JIRA templates. I like the JIRA Snapshot report, but I need it to display something different. Do you know if there is away to get it to show a custom field instead of the summary field? We have a field called "Release Note Comments" and would like that to display instead of summaries. Also, I don't need the status to show either. Is this even a capability? Below is an image of what I've been able to generate and what I'm ultimately looking to do. Thank you for your guidance.ReleaseNotesGOAL2.PNG

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2019

The Better PDF Exporter app can be configured fully via the web interface. It can be used to generate Release Notes and any other type of documents from Jira data.

See: https://www.midori-global.com/products/better-pdf-exporter-for-jira/cloud/template-gallery#release-notes

Suggest an answer