How do I add a KANBAN column

Paul Hunt February 8, 2018

Fired up a free account to test some functionality on JIRA and I am struggling to add columns in a KANBAN project (the user guide instructions don't match up with what I see in the platform)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Update: I have discovered that the column edit fields are disabled when I switch the project over to business.

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2018

I believe he is referring to a Cloud instance, since there are free accounts now (I think it's limited to 5 users for free).   Technically speaking Jira Server does not have a free account, just free evaluations for 30 days.

@Paul Hunt - The Jira Software projects are those that allow you to customize the agile boards (scrum and kanban).  However in Cloud you can also encounter Jira Core Boards. These only exist on Jira Business projects, and in turn do not require a Jira Software License in order to use.  But the trade off here is that these boards are not as configurable as the Software Boards are.  They are designed to still offer some board functions, but they have more restrictive requirements.

Working with Core Boards explains this type of board better than I can.

Also in regards to the new Jira experience I would recommend checking out Boards in the new experience.  It can help explain some of the changes that have recently happened for this new interface for Jira Cloud.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2018

Are the instructions you are looking at for the same platform you are using?  Server or Cloud?  Their interfaces are very different

Suggest an answer