How can you identify what version of log4j your server is running?

shane-nz December 12, 2021

What command(s) can you execute on the the server that will locate the version of log4j your instance of Jira is running? 

3 answers

0 votes
Reed Wurts December 15, 2021

I'm investigating whether our JIRA instance is affected by any abnormal Log4Shell (Log4j) activity. We did a recent test upgrade from JIRA Core (server) 6.2.6 to 6.4.6 during which the file checker reported the usual modified and added files, and the list looks ok... and when I do a search in the Install directory, I only find 3 files: log4j.properties, log4jkit.class, and Log4jWarnEvaluator.class all have timestamp of 6/2/2015, so look to not have been modified. I'm thinking we have Version 1 of Log4j.

0 votes
Paloma Fondon Araujo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2021

Hi @shane-nz 

To check the log4j version of the server you can use:

sudo find / -name 'log4j*'

I hope it will help you
Regards

0 votes
skavatekar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2021

Check the file under <Installation_Dir>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/ folder for log4j*.jar

Mayuresh Sakharape December 13, 2021

Hi @skavatekar , There is only one file matching your criteria on the location mentioned  by you and  that is log4j2-stacktrace-origins-2.2-atlassian-2.jar

What is the base log4j jar used by this jar?

Sylvain Populaire December 20, 2021

Check the file under <Installation_Dir>/lib

You should find log4j-1.2.17-atlassian-3.jar

Suggest an answer