How can you have 2 statuses with the same name?

Guy February 16, 2021

Hi JiraHiveBrain,

We are using Jira Cloud.

Yesterday one of my employees decided to create/update several statuses.
At some point he created another status called "To Do".
Thing is, we already had that in the system (I know, strange).

At some point he edited the To Dos statutes and created a mess.
We now have the following statues: (it called To Do1 because we tried editing and now it blocks us as seen in the second picture)

jira2.png

jira.pngNow I have 2 questions:

a. How is it possible we had 2 statuses with the same name?
b. other than going through all the workflows and filters in order to consolidate the statuses into a single (which will be a pain) are there any other suggestions to save my day? :)

thanks in advance
G

1 answer

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

Hi @Guy 

I'm not sure how status got created with the same name, it is not possible as per my understanding of Jira.

But here's the remediation for the situation you are in

Search for the issue with the JQL query

status = ToDo1

You will get the issues with the status ToDo1

Now what you have to do is bulk edit transition issues to different transition and then go to each of the workflows and have your ToDo1 status removed and attach ToDo transition.

Now go to advanced search again and search as follows

status changed from "To Do" to "In Progress" After startOfDay() 

Something like this would suffice, but make sure you will get the old issues which you moved from ToDo1 to another status.

That's it your query is solved!

Please let me know if you any doubts

Thanks,
Pramodh

Guy February 16, 2021

Hi Pramodh,

Thank you for the quikc response.

Bulk edit was my initial apporach and at the end of the day it will provide a solution.

problem is, it will require also to go over a lot of workflows and update them not to mention filters and various queries.

In general, I agree that a situation like this should be impossible, that is why I reached out to the community :)

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

Yes, apart from what I've mentioned I guess there is no such option natively we can change the status name exiting one!

Will get back to you if it can be done via some plugin!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events