Can you copy and paste when editing info panel(s) in a JIRA ticket description?

Rafael Vicente September 21, 2022

product: On JIRA CLOUD

browser: Chrome

Platform: macOS updated to the last available version Monterey 12.6

Background:

Around 1 year ago the description of JIRA tickets was upgraded to look more like confluence;

One o those features was the possibility of using info panels in the ticket description

(we like to use the background to make it easy to read and we use a fixed color scheme blue for background/introduction, purple for goals/tasks/changes, and green for details :)

before:

When introduced one could copy and paste easily within the info panel

it was quite good to have the feeling one could now use the "confluence" editor within JIRA --> props to this it was really handy as I no longer keep separate records to discuss epics with stakeholders.

Now (a couple of months ago)

--> When pasting the text it's placed a couple of rows AFTER the info panel I was aiming to past on

known workaround:

• "copy" and then "paste without formatting"
  • leave the edit mode, "copy" selected text, open edit mode again, "paste" text

Most likely the root cause is that the COPY comes with additional characters/formatting that represents the info panel --> might be visible if you edit in rich format but not like what a "common" moral uses :D  

Step 1: Select and Copy:

Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 22.36.28.png

Step 2: Paste right after the initial text

Step 3: Observe the text being placed in an additional info panel right after the one we were working on.

Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 22.36.36.png

Is this a problem for you? do you consider this a bug or a feature? 

I honestly hope this is a bug and not a feature, because why on earth do you "revert" a feature

User story: For our office :P we would like to be able to copy and paste (ctrl c ctrl v (or command on mac) text within panels so that I do not need to have to come up with workarounds for such an easy task :/ 

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

Hello @Rafael Vicente 

Is this post about Jira functionality or Confluence functionality? Info Panels are a Confluence feature, but you posted this in the Jira Software Questions forum.

On cloud, there is no difference; info panels are on both confluence and JIRA (which is really cool) 

But recent changes broke the copy and paste on JIRA 

On confluence the copy and paste works just fine ;) 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

Oh, pardon me, I now realize you are referring to an Info Panel within another field, like Description.

I'm not having any trouble pasting text into an Info Panel. I'm using a Mac, and using a Chrome browser. What browser are you using? Have you tried other browsers?

same here ;)

Chrome's last update 105.0.5195.125  

and iOS also last update Monterey 12.6

Will give a try with safari tomorrow, but in my office, everyone is facing the same problem (both with windows and mac --> both using chrome)

P.S.: edited the question to make it more clear :) 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

Ah yes, I have the same problem (now that I am using the same steps).

Like Rafael Vicente likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events