How can we identify inactive JIRA Agile Boards

SunilP January 27, 2015

I need to identify all unused/inactive JIRA Agile boards as sometimes Manage Boards page is taking more than 30 seconds and leading to timeout.

I would like to remove all unused boards instead of changing timeout value.

Any better suggestions are always appreciated.....

3 answers

0 votes
DTS Infra Admin May 15, 2019

One of the good housekeeping activity that we have learnt is to identify the inactive users (not logged-in since xyz date) and to cleanout all boards they would have created. you would however, need to identify if the board was shared and is currently in use. I am sure you would find many boards which were created but aren't in use. 

• identify those users
  • identify boards created by them (not shared)
  • remove those boards
0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2015

If you have scrum boards then you can go in and check the sprint dates for the current/last sprint. If a project is inactive then it is highly likely that sprints have not been planned in the recent few months.

If it is a kanban board, then you may want to run the created/resolved chart for the filter/project in that kanban board and see. Again, if the project is inactive then not many new issues would had been created inrecent past.

This is a very subjective issue as the definition of inactive can vary from 3 months to 3 years. So, it is unlikely that you may get an automated solution to identify this . This process is best investigated manually one byone.

Rahul

Sandeep Thukral September 7, 2017

I like this solution. I started cleaning up my company's Jira Board mess using your suggestions.

Sasha Robenek August 27, 2020

Hi,

this is not a valid solution. As issues can appear in mutliple boards according to their used components, labels etc. this cannot to validate wether a board is in use or not.

Best regards,

Sasha

Like Ronald Sietzema likes this
0 votes
Michał Siwecki February 3, 2015

I'm also waiting for some info. Can someone from Atlassian provide answer to this question?

Suggest an answer