How can i share ONLY a filter to a specific user?

a.bardini July 31, 2020

Hi All,
I need to Share a filter to our client in order to show him ONLY the information that i want to shows.

This is my filter:
fixVersion = "Client Name" ORDER BY Rank ASC
Columns shown:
Key, Summary, Status, Created, Resolved, Epic Link

Finally I need to give access to a specific user that CAN SEE ONLY these informations.

Is this possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

Hi @a.bardini 

Two separate questions here I think:

• How do I limit what a specific client / user can see
  • How do I limit filter access to a specific client / user

I notice you're using FixVersion for the client name - it's not possible to limit access to a group of issues via FixVersion.

There are a few options, but these require the client to have a licensed account in your Jira instance. I would then create a user group per client, and divide client-based users into those groups.

• Issue Security: See this page. This will allow you to specify who can see which issues - so you could create an issue security scheme and mark each issue depending on whether it should be visible to all users, only to internal users or a specific group of users in client groups X, Y or Z. This allows all the issues to remain in one project if needed.
  • Project Permissions: See this page. In this instance, each client / client's work would be a separate project. You can then limit which project's a client user group can access by limiting the permission "Browse Projects"

^ Project Permissions is a cleaner way of doing this. You'd need to ensure all projects permission schemes are updated accordingly across your platform.

Once you've done this, you can either just share a link to the project (if using project permissions) or if you still need a filter:

1. Go to your filter
  2. Press Save to save the filter if you haven't already
  3. Once Saved, press "Details" next to the filter's name
  4. Under Permissions, select "Edit Permissions"
  5. Limit Access to either a group (i.e the client user group) or project access (clients would only access to the projects they need to see using project permissions)
  6. Press Save

Let us know if this answers your query :)

Ste

a.bardini August 3, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ,

It can be useful for me but i'm not able to do that at the moment, maybe you can help me.

i manually created a user and manually created a new Group.

With default permissions this user can access and view all projects and all Cards, and it is not good for us.
Now i need to manage permissions in order to give the possibility to this user to view only the filter or the dashboard that i need to share with him.

Is possibile to do that without change permission schema for all of my projects (i'm not really confident to change permissions of our projects)?

Which can be a solution that can be done changing less possible parameters?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2020

Hi @a.bardini 

Project and Filter/Dashboard access are intrinsically linked.

You can share a single filter or dashboard with a user, but if you don't limit their project permissions they'll still be able to see all cards across all projects, which is what you want to avoid.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you remove all permissions from the user/group, they'd be able to access a shared filter/dashboard but see no issues - because they need the project permissions to browse issues anywhere on the platform.

I'd strongly advise you look into Project Permissions and a model where each client is a project, to allow you to limit the visibility of work for each.

Ste

2 votes
Thuan Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2023

Hi @a.bardini @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Please follow the public ticket: JRACLOUD-26681

Please refer to the latest Atlassian Cloud changes Mar 27 to Apr 3, 2023

Or you can see the screenshots I captured and post here:

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 11.48.48 pm.pngScreenshot 2023-04-04 at 11.49.04 pm.png

The feature is being rolled out. So you will get the feature soon.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events