How can i do an automated backup of my tickets for a new generation jira project?

Claire Dufetrelle December 8, 2020

I need to do a backup of the tickets of my project. An export in csv, excel, json format, whatever is fine. It has to be automated (every week, no need of a human action). How can I do this? The documentation proposes something that seems to be impossible if new generation projects exist on my Jira instance.

Thanks a lot for your help

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2020

Hi @Claire Dufetrelle  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There is nothing built into the cloud version of Jira to do this.  Here are several suggestions to add this feature, which you may review and vote for:

https://jira.atlassian.com/issues/?jql=project%20IN%20(JRACLOUD%2C%20JSWCLOUD)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20summary%20~%20automated%20AND%20summary%20~%20backup%20ORDER%20BY%20Key

What is the purpose of your backup? 

For example, if you are just protecting against accidental deletion, you may disable delete permissions. 

If you need more of a traditional backup/restore/partial restore capability, you would need to implement that by backup as admin (or pull data using the REST API, export, etc.) and then import (possible to a new testing instance).  Here is the documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-automate-backups-for-jira-cloud-applications-779160659.html

Where did you see backup would not work if you have NextGen projects?  We are successfully backing up now, with Classic and NextGen in the instance, and we have tested restore for both.

Best regards,

Bill

Claire Dufetrelle December 11, 2020

Thanks Bill!

I want to protect against accidental deletion, and then I have disabled delete permissions and it's fine. The best solution is indeed to prevent deletion and not to try to fix deletion effect.

Thanks for your links, it is interesting for later project that may have similar needs.

About Nextgen, I am not admin of my workspace, it was reported to me that "nextGen projects are not compatible with Jira Software Server and Data Server" and I did not investigate further.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2020

Thanks for that information, @Claire Dufetrelle 

Regarding disabling delete permission, some customers find it useful to add a custom boolean field, such as Abandoned.  You may mark an item as Abandoned when it would have been deleted otherwise.  Updating your reports and board filters to remove Abandoned issues hides them.  And, you can always find them later with a search.

Like Claire Dufetrelle likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events