How can i configure default access to next-gen projects

Armin Svoboda April 30, 2019

Hi, 

We've recently migrated from Trello to JIRA. Next-gen projects FTW.

We have many internal and external stakeholders. Who share various boards.

By default, I want all of my team internally to have access to all current and new next-gen projects, however, I don't want external users to have access to all next-gen projects. 

When creating a new project, I can set the project permissions to 'open' so my internal team all have access... but, then so do our external stakeholders.

I can create a project and set the project permissions to 'private' to hide it from external stakeholders, but it then hides the project from all internal stakeholders meaning I have to add all  20+ of them to all 'private' projects and every new project thereafter.

'Limited Access' doesn't appear to do anything... except let people view all boards, in a restricted fashion. This isn't good enough due to sensitive information still viewable tickets to external users. 

Have I missed something?

2 answers

0 votes
Roopa Raghavan May 15, 2019

@Armin Svoboda - that was a good summary of your issue. I'm currently at that exact spot as well wondering what 'Limited access' really does as external user can still view project, board and issues

@Angélica Luz Thanks for the resolution. 

So as I understand it, to keep projects contained for 2 different sets of users  - create Next-Gen projects as 'Private' and add all internal users to it that need to be able to see the project - right?

Can I suggest an update here?

Where we 'Add People' to 'Private next-gen projects' if we are able to add groups - then that would solve problems. We can add group of our 'internal users' and be done and not have to add users individually.

Not sure if this is being worked on currently.

Thanks guys!

Roopa

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2019

Hi Roopa,

Yes, it's necessary to set the project as private to prevent users to see tickets.
Your idea is great and it's possible to add all users to a group and add this group on "People" in the project.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2019

Hi Armin,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!
Just for further clarification, can you please let us know who are external stakeholders? Are they external people that do not have a license or access to the instance?
I'm asking because the when you set a next-gen project to "Open", only people that have access to your instance will be able to see the project and the tickets.

Regards,
Angélica

Armin Svoboda May 5, 2019

Hi Angelica, 

External stakeholders are our clients. They have access to the instance because I have added them and need them to see a project(s) in our instance. But I don't want them to see ALL projects in our instance. 

Thanks,

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2019

In this case, for them to do not see the project list, the best option is to keep as private. Next-gen does not have the Issue Security option, so we can't hide the tickets using this setting.
Next-gen is independent, so anyone can create the projects and also anyone can see if the administrator does not change the access of the project.

Like Roopa Raghavan likes this

Suggest an answer