How can a filter/dashboard show the details of a linked ticket?

Clayton Cosgrove January 7, 2021

We use the service desk as one board and then we link the tickets to our development board.  

I would like to either use a dashboard gadget or ideally a filter to show the tickets in the filter and then the linked tickets and the title of the linked tickets.

Has anyone seen a JQL query or gadget that can do that? 

2 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Hello @Clayton Cosgrove 

First, be advised that if you are trying to combine service desk and classic project issues into a single output, only the people who have access to both the service desk project and the classic project will be able to see the output. If a person tries to view the output and does not have permission as a service desk agent/team member in the service desk project, then they will not see the output for the service desk issues.

Next, let's identify your primary filter. Are you starting by filtering for issues in your development board/project or in your service desk board/project? Are you starting with a list of development issues and trying to get the linked service desk issues (if such exist), or vice versa? Or are you trying to get all the issues from both projects where there is a link to the other project?

With the out of the box JIRA Cloud, I know that you can include Linked Issues in the output fields of a filter, but there is no built in function to filter for linked issues. You are going to have to get a third party app added to your JIRA system to get that sort of functionality. Off the top of my head, I believe the Adaptavist Scriptrunner app provides that functionality, but I worked with it on a JIRA Server instance. I'm not sure they support the same functionality for JIRA Cloud.

Finding a way to show the issue IDs and summaries for one set of issues combined with the issue IDs and summaries for issue linked to the first set of issues is going to be challenging. I'm positive there is nothing built into JIRA Cloud for that. I've never tried to find an app for that, so I don't know if such an app exists. 

You may have to settle for producing a list of the development issues that includes the linked issue IDs and a separate list of service desk issues based on the linked issues found in the first list.

0 votes
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

Hi @Clayton Cosgrove 

You can make a JQL Query as easy or complicated with the information you need and then you have several types of gadgets, depending on how you need to see it (pie chart, two dimension table, etc.) and prioritize by the field that is useful to you as long as it is within the query

Cheers

Clayton Cosgrove January 7, 2021

Hi Vero

But I am not sure how to build that JQL query to build the information that I need which sits in the two different boards. 

I have searched everywhere to find a way to show the details of a linked ticket but to no avail?

Thanks 

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

Hi @Clayton Cosgrove 

It depends, for now I would tell you to forget about the boards and first analyze the information.

The issues you need are in the same project, but in the JQL you can include both projects, then what types of issues are, apart from the links, they have some other characteristic to take into account (sprint, deadline, duedate, etc)

I can't help you anymore because I don't know the casuistry, but everything is to think about it and analyze it

Cheers

Clayton Cosgrove January 8, 2021

Hi

I understand that you cannot help any further but for clarity, they are on two different project boards.   The help desk project and the development project. 

Thanks 

Clayton

Like Vero Rivas likes this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

I understood from a similar Suggestion (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-39413) there is only few power behind the column "Links" in Jira Cloud currently.
While the ask was for the Summary there are several others, like, https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-24557 which sadly meanwhile are closed as "Won't do".

The nearest I get for linked issues from Issue Navigator is their Summary by hovering the link with the mouse - this is probably old news as basically already described by Trudy.

That the issues reside in two different projects is not the big deal if I got everything right. Even software-boards (Kanban/Scrum) are just a special >view< on a project.

grafik.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events