How can Jira automation rules be editable for project admin

Jira April 25, 2023

I have created a jira automation rule for a single project and have the admin access to that project I am able to edit the rule.

However when the rule is extended to another project where I am also an admin, I am unable to edit the rule.

To edit the rule to the scope as multiple projects jira administrator access is required.

Any suggestion why is the roles defined in such a way to not allow projects admin managing the rules and are any ways to edit the rules without Jira admin access?

4 answers

2 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

Hi @Jira 

Please check the following documentation article: Permissions required for Jira Cloud automation rules

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

Hello @Jira 

When you say the "rule is extended to another project" do you mean that the Scope of the rule is changed to include multiple projects, like this?

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 1.25.31 AM.png

If so, then by adding multiple projects to the rule scope the rule has become a Global rule.

Global Rules can be edited only by Jira Administrators and only from the Global Automation screen.

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 1.28.33 AM.png

Multi-project scope rules can't be edited by the Project Administrators of the projects to which they are applied because it is just one rule, and any change made by one Project Admin would affect the rule for all specified projects.

Jira April 25, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill,

Thanks for your input. However I am an admin to all the projects to which the rules are extended. So i know the affect it will bring out to all projects. 

If i was not the admin of either project then it make sense but if i am admin to all the projects i should have access to edit the rules.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2023

Hello @Jira 

It does not matter that you happen to be the Project Admin for all projects which are currently specified as in scope for the rule. In other scenarios a person might not be Project Admin for all the affected projects. And a Jira Admin could modify the rule to apply it to yet another project where you are not a Project Admin.

Therefore, the rule can only be edited from the Global Automation page by a Jira Administrator, which is somebody who would have access to see the full list of projects to which the rule is being applied.

From Project Settings > Automation a Project Administrator can edit only rules that are unique to their project and not "shared" (via Scope) with other projects.

That is how the product is designed.

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2023

Hi @Jira 

That seems like a bug to me, or a feature that hasn't been fully developed yet. Let me see if someone from Atlassian can address here since you are on a free subscription. 

Jira April 25, 2023

Hi @John Funk ,

This is the case in enterprise version also.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2023

Yes, understood. I can see it both ways, but I tend to be of the opinion that if you are an admin on all projects used by the rule you should be able to edit the rule. Obviously, the current design is different in that you have to be a Jira Admin, but to me if you are trusted to be an admin on all projects involved, you should be able to edit rules that involve just those projects. But, not sure if Atlassian plans to change that or not. 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2023

Hi,

When automation rules have the scope of more than a single project, it requires the user be a Jira Administrator to manage these.  This is because those rules are beyond the single project scope now, and are expected to be managed in the global automation page. This is explained in https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/permissions-required-for-jira-cloud-automation-rules/

There is a feature request to change this behavior over in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AUTO-593

The work-around here is noted as duplicating the rule within each project in question and then limiting the scope to a single project.

Regards,

Andy

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Thanks, Andy! I have voted for the feature request and will follow. 

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2023

Hi @Jira 

Multi project automations have execution limits based on your license tier. So to avoid exhausting the monthly usage limit, it is best that the jira admins have control over it.

Hope that answers. Let me know if you have further questions on this

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2024

I totally agree with you on this, Fazila - not sure of the number of users you have in your instance, but I know this is going to come with a ton of resistance from my team, esp since there are almost 100 project admins and ex-rule creators.

Would love to get to this point where only a limited number of admins manage all rules.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events