How can I use the "Group By Labels" feature of Advanced Roadmaps to group the entire hierarchy?

Robin Silander May 25, 2023

We need to be able to create flexible groupings of Initiatives within Advanced Roadmaps and the "Group By Labels" feature seems the best way to do this. 

Example structure

Initiative A (label of Group1)

- Epic A1 (no label)

- Epic A2 (no label)

Initiative B (label of Group1)

- Epic B1 (no label)

Initiative C (label of Group2)

- Epic C1 (no label)

If I create two label groups in AR for Group1 and Group2 then the Initiatives appear in these groups but I can not drill-down into the Epics as they do not have these labels - they appear under the "All other issues" group. I understand why it works this way but doesn't do what I need.

Any suggestions welcome

1 answer

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 19, 2024

Hi @Robin Silander

I can confirm that this is how Advanced Roadmaps does grouping. The only solution for AR that I can think of is to use Jira Automation to propagate the initiative label(s) down to all children, but obviously this would create a fair bit of overhead.

Alternatively, depending on your exact use case, you may want to consider one of the hierarchy-focused apps in the Atlassian Marketplace.

E.g., my team and I work on an app that would handle your example just like you would expect: JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a range of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies and issue grouping by any issue field(s), among many other things. If you combine issue hierarchies and issue grouping, JXL behaves just like you described above:

label-initiative-hierarchy.gif

There are some features in AR that don't exist in JXL (yet), and JXL comes with many great features that don't exist in AR (like e.g. conditional formatting or support for bulk editing via copy/paste) - so whether JXL might be a viable alternative really depends on your exact use case and requirements.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events