How can I use automation to automatically update start and end dates for epics and issues?

Allie Nelson June 3, 2022

Capture.PNGHello! 

I frequently use zapier and airtable automation, but I am new to jira automation.

Right now, my team is using only the sprint field to determine when we will complete and finish work.

There are some integrations I'd like to use for road mapping that will make it easier for me to communicate our timelines to stakeholders, so it would be beneficial to start using start date and end date fields

I would like to create an automation that can update all of the issues in my project with a start date and end date by looking up the sprint start date and sprint end date

And I would like those start and end dates to automatically update if the issue is moved to a different sprint.

I tried setting up an automation that triggers when an issue is updated, filters for issues where the due date is empty, and then edits the field issue to {{issue.Sprint.endDate.jiradate}}. This didn't appear to work. What am I doing wrong?

1 answer

0 votes
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2022

Hi @Allie Nelson,

I'm afraid that the reason why this isn't working is due to there being a one to many relationship between an issue and sprints. An issue can have multiple sprints, so that field Sprint is a list type. There's some good available on https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-lists/ around using lists that will help. There isn't an easy way to find out which Sprint is the active one either as it changes order.

If there is only ever one Sprint per issue then you could just do Sprint.first or Sprint.last but otherwise it is hard to predict. Have a look at that link for more information.

Cheers,

Simeon.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events