How can I use Initiative issue type in my Plan?

Eugenia Peralta May 15, 2023

In a Company managed project, I created a Plan, and add Initiative as the highest issue type in the hierarchy, but seems that I have done something wrong because I cannot use it. When I go to the Plan and try to create an Initiative, the issue type is not enabled.

I have followed the steps on the JIRA support page to configure the issue type and the hierarchy in the Advanced Roadmap.

Could you help me, please? Thanks!!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Long -Evelon-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2023

Hi @Eugenia Peralta

Most likely, you'll need to ensure that your Initiative issue type is part of the issue scheme, within the project you're trying to create the issue. 

Issues are not created within plans, they're created within projects still, but the plan acts as a view.

Hope that helps - Steve.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Adding to this, here is a link to the documentation about editing an Issue Type Scheme:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/add-edit-and-delete-an-issue-type-scheme/

And, to clarify, there is a Create Issue option available when you are viewing your plan.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 1.06.46 PM.png

So the Plan interface is a conduit for creating issues, but the issues are not actually added to the underly project until you Review Changes and Save Changes from the Plan to the associated Projects.

Like # people like this

Thanks Steve! yes, indeed, the issue type has been created in the scheme that is used by the project. 

I just changed the filter of the plan to Hierarchy and I could create an Initiative but now I cannot see it in the backlog or edit it to add a description 

Should I see the Initiative with an ID in the backlog? Not sure how it works.

Thanks. PlanHierarchy.pngInitiative-Epic.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

If you notice the "Changes POST MVP" item in your image has no numeric portion after "PDP", like the one below it shows PDP-799.

That is an indication that you have aded it to the Plan, but you haven't committed your Plan changes to the associated projects.

You need to click the Review Changes button in the upper right corner.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 1.18.15 PM.png

Then check the boxes for changes you want to commit to your project, and save the changes.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 1.18.28 PM.png

That is the point at which newly created issues in your Plan and other changes to issue fields in your Plan will be saved into the project and be visible in the backlog/board.

Like Kelly Arrey likes this

Perfect!!! Thanks so much!!!!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders