How can I skip / fast track a workflow status based on priority?

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2021

My change control workflow has a status for "CAB Review".

I only need issue priority 1,2 & 3 to stop here, priority 4 can proceed to next status which in my case is "In Progress". 

How can I achieve this? (add-ins/app suggestions are fine if not do-able OOTB)

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

Hi Pete,

I simply add conditions to the transitions in the workflow. For example:

Backlog > Design > CAB Review > In Progress > Done

Include a transition from Design to CAB Review that is a regular transition with no real conditions.

Then create another transition from Design to In Progress with a Condition of Priority = 4

So if the Priority is not 4, then the user doesn't even see that transition (IOW In Progress does not show in the drop down of the statuses). 

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2021

@John Funk thanks that sounds like a great solution.  I will give it a try

Like John Funk likes this
Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2021

Hey @John Funk , what is the specific "Name" of the condition I should use?  I don't see anything in the list that would let me specify a priority value?

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2021

conditions.PNG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2021

Ah, forgot you were on server - there's a very easy option in Cloud. :-)

From your options above, you would probably select Scripted (Groovy) Condition (JMWE app).

Choose the field for priority and use == 4

So it will probably look something like: issue.priority.name == "4"

Be sure to test it first though. 

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2021

Great!  thanks @John Funk  for quick reply, that was exactly what I needed.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer