How can I setup automation that only kicks out a notification when all dependencies are complete?

SHEHZADALI ISMAILY June 16, 2022

I want to setup JIRA automation that ONLY sends out a notification when all dependencies on an issue are met. How can I do that?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2022

Hi @SHEHZADALI ISMAILY 

You'll want something like this:

2022-06-16_11-44-12.jpg

What's happening here is that as issues move to your resolved status (DONE in my example), it navigates to any issues it is blocking. Next, it verifies that all blockers are resolved.  If this matches, it sends an email.

Mark, thank you for this. See my current rule setup below:

cgdependencytest.PNG

How can I edit this current rule setup to include the missing part which is the branch that you have (for linked issues, types blocks). or do I need to construct the rule in a different way to include that missing component?

Thank you for your help.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2022

For clarity, are you looking to have it send two notifications?

• As each dependency is resolved
  • When all dependencies have been resolved

If this is the case, it looks like you already have the branch so you can just add the linked issue condition (you'll want to change it to the other half of your "Depended on by" link type) and the second send email action.

Looking to send only 1 notification when ALL dependencies are marked done or cancelled. Is the below condition in my screenshot what the setup would need to be?

cgdependencytest2.PNG

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

There should be another direction for your link type.  For example Blocks vs. Is Blocked By.  Is there a counter link type for Is depended on by?  If there is no other link direction, you're going to have to make changes to the rule.

Mark, I apologize but I don't 100% follow.

Essentially we need to keep "is depended on by" in place, because of the following use case:

team A should be notified when dependency on team B is completed. But do not notify team B when dependency on Team A is completed.

given above, we just need to modify the rule so that all the dependencies must be completed before team A is notified.

Hope this was not too confusing.

If possible I'd like to keep this all as part of one rule.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

I understand the ask.  I just need to understand the link type.  For example, there are two types of link types:

1. Hierarchal - These are links that reference in a parent/child type of hierarchy.  For example, Issue A blocks Issue B and Issue B is blocked by Issue A
  2. Referential - These are links that simply reference each other.
    For example, Issue A relates to issue B and Issue B relates to Issue A

Is Depended On By is not a native link type, so I'm just trying to get a sense of whether it is configured like 1 or 2 above.  My example assumed hierarchal so if yours is more of a simple reference we need to make a slight tweak to things.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Thank you for clarifying. Based off your explanantion, it would be Hierarchal.

Given that what would the rule setup look like?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

If it's hierarchal then the rule I proposed should work, but there should be a different link type the other side.  Perhaps you can share screenshots of two issues that are linked to each other.  I just need to see what the link type is called on each side of the link.  If it's the same, then you're dealing with a referential link

Please see screenshots below.

ctgteama.PNG

ctgteamb.PNG

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

Perfect - So in your condition, you need to have the link type set to Depends On.  Using A and B as an example it would work like this:

1. Rule triggered as B moves to Done
  2. Branches into A
  3. Checks to see that all of A's dependencies are Done
  4. If True - Send Email
SHEHZADALI ISMAILY June 17, 2022

Thank you so much Mark! I was able to get it to work with your help. Appreciate your time and patience.

Like Mark Segall likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events