Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I set issue level security so that only reporters and other specific people can view issue?

I am trying to set our issue level security so that:

1. The team who will work on the issue can see/ edit/ etc... (full permissions)
  2. The person who reported the issue can see/ edit/ etc... (full permissions)
  3. Anyone tagged as a watcher, approver or business contact can see/ comment (but ideally not edit) the issue

We have issue level security set so that: 

Private (default) Allows access to:

• Current assignee
  • Group (jira-administrators)
  • Project Role (Private Issue Access)
  • Reporter
  • User custom field value (Approver)
  • User custom field value (Business Contacts)
  • User custom field value (Engineer)
  • User custom field value (Primary Stakeholder)
  • User custom field value (Product Manager)
  • User custom field value (Tech Lead)
  • User custom field value (Watchers List)

However, reporters and watchers can't seem to see the issue OR I can't add someone as a watcher because "they don't have permission to see the issue". 

How do I make sure that I can add anyone as a watcher, and that reporters/ watchers/ etc... can see and edit the issue?

1 answer

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf Community Leader Sep 10, 2019

Hi @Freya Hurwitz 

The issue security schemes only controls the visibility of an issue. But your requirements are about the permissions for the issue and can be achieved with the permission schemes (ex, browse permission - reporter, assignee, <groups>, <user/group cf>++ would define who can see the issue.. same with edit permissions and others)

Refer to https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver0713/managing-project-permissions-964983417.html and update your project permissions to suite your requirements.

But you cant use 'watchers' in the permission scheme.. However, you could use a free plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6306/watcher-custom-field-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview&_ga=2.99439452.333804713.1568114596-1686971808.1549273683 to workaround on that.. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,349 views 22 31
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you