Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I set an Epic Link to be the name of a field I have imported Edited

I want to link stores to an epic that were created outside of Jira. I am using zapier to bring them in it's all working really well. 

My Epics have a name i.e. "Text 10 - This is a test" and they are coming into Jira without a problem

I also have stories that have a custom field with the exact same title "Text 10 - This is a test".

I want to use the Epic link to link the stories to the epic. but I don't know what trigger to use to trigger the link I think a JQ might work

I used the issue fields condition if my epic field = Epic name but of course stories dong have epic name so it does not trigger anything...  

Any ideas very warmly revised... 

1 answer

Hello @jason_nash 

Are you working with a Team Managed or a Company Managed project in Jira?

Is this a one-time or infrequent task that you need to do, or something that will need to be done many times?

If you manually find the Issue Key for your Epic and can create a filter that will give you a list of the issues you want to link to it, you could use the Bulk Change feature to update the Epic Link for the child issues, for a Company Managed project.

I’m using a company project and it’s something I want to do regularly. It feels possible but really don’t know how to start I can see how one off mass updates would work… but ideally need something automated 

Walk us through the scenario.

In what order (creating epics, creating stories) are things being done?

How are the issues being created (manually, through an automated integration, ...)?

At what point would you want the automation to be triggered?

Am I correct in understanding the following:

1. Your Epics each have a unique Epic Name.

2. The issues that you want to attach to that Epic have that same value in a custom field.

Like jason_nash likes this

Ideas and stories are created in AirTable and Zapier moves them across.
Stories don't have 

The ideas are mapped to an epic and the stories are mapped to a story.

The epic name is one of the fields in the stories that are attached stories don't have an epic name field 

1. Yes epics have unique names. 

2. And the stories have a custom field that has the same epic name. 

I need to update the epic link to = the custom field but I can't see how to do that. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

👁‍🗨 Confluence Team planning dashboard_Atlympics 🌈

Hi Atlassian's, How is your journey with #Atlympics 2021 so far....excited! Me too, same excitement. Here's my typical team planning and vision dashboard which I used to share to my management and ...

46 views 1 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you