How can I see the progress of tasks on roadmap

Jade Arana September 20, 2021

I am trying to use the roadmap in the standard version and I can only set dates to the epics, but I need to have some start and due dates to the stories too. I can see the tasks/story under the epic, I have dates set inside each issue but I can't see a time line in the map. How can I see them?

4 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Rathesh Richards
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2021

Hi @jade Currently, story-level date-based planning is not supported. For Kanban, you won't be able to see the due dates for the stories on the roadmaps view. 
For a scrum board, the story's timeline will reflect the length of the sprint it has been assigned to (i.e. the sprint's start date and end date, and this cannot be customised on the roadmap view)

I'm a Product Manager on Roadmaps for Jira Software Cloud. We recognize that many customers are asking for this and we are looking into it for Kanban boards, but I can't share more with you just yet.

Out of interest, what are you trying to achieve by viewing the story-level dates on the roadmap within your team/organization? 

Jade Arana September 21, 2021

I want to use the epics as the projects for example Premium feature release. I have an overall date to release the whole feature but the stories would be the step I need to reach to get there, i.e. Hire X, write ux copy, do research x... so I can actually plan each project. Having only epics as possible to add start and end dates is a bit too simple and doesn't really allow us to really do roadmapping, just add some deadlines for projects.

Like # people like this
Erwin Sloboda November 11, 2021

i need this feature as well i grew to use it from the on´-prem version of jira portfolio

mjh@Lab November 15, 2021

@Rathesh Richards I think Roadmap that can't reflect Tasks and Subtasks is rather useless and does not make to much sense for me. Most of people uses EPICs as a projects so main thing they need is to put specific tasks and subtask on timeline not epics. Task is something which is assigned to specific people epic can be to but this is just an (project) owner not someone who is actually doing something. Roadmap/timeline is something which should help allocate resources and this is not possible right now.

If you want people to use this Roadmap I think this is critical, without this is useless (at least for me)

Like # people like this
Bohdan Fejtek January 6, 2022

@Rathesh Richards any news regarding implementing such a feature? We use Kanban Boards and could really use Roadmap that works more like a Gant chart - displaying ALL Issue type start/end dates. 

Like # people like this
Jonathan King January 13, 2022

We also need this functionality. 

Epics are projects. Projects as, Jira calls them, are actually folders, or teams within an organization.

We need to be able to see the length of each project and the independent length of each task and sub-task in that project. This is where you should be able to easily see and set dependencies between tasks.

All of this has to be visible in the Roadmap.

The Plan view is rather useless for this because it seems the only thing you can edit is the start and finish date and bot the details of the projects and tasks.

As for using Scrum instead of Kanban: Having the tasks and sub-tasks inherit the length of the sprint only makes sense for teams who work solely in sprints.

Like # people like this
Ted January 28, 2022

Is there a ticket that we can vote on that describes this request? 

Like # people like this
Phil Seyb February 11, 2022

I'll add my vote here as well, this feature would be super useful....will make the Roadmap usable.

Like # people like this
Anna Michalska February 13, 2022

wow quite surprised that this basic feature is not available 

Like # people like this
Torben Jenssen March 24, 2022

We have the same need, and would appreciate a fast-track on this subject. Its not up to the task without a detailed planning feature. A overall timeline is pretty useless. 

Like Ted likes this
Almira Fernandes March 29, 2022

Adding the task timeline to the roadmap would be an awesome tool to use. Please do fast-track this feature as there's quite a lot of demand for it. Thank you. 

Aaron Mackay April 11, 2022

Adding my vote here as well.  This feature would be incredibly useful for visualising task start and end dates within an epic

Kristine Gemici May 11, 2022

Adding Vote..

Joel Kalete May 13, 2022

We would like this feature too, any current workarounds?

John Kneeland June 10, 2022

Here to add a vote, just kind of flabbergasted this isn't a thing yet. the need for it is so obvious I started googling, assuming surely it is just me not being able to find out how to do it. Imagine my surprise to find it's 2022 and this still isn't a Thing! Lordy I'm gonna have to use Asana because you don't have something as basic as issues showing up in roadmap view...

Like Mickael LASZLO likes this
리버_River_ July 5, 2022

I need it too.

Tapiwa Samkange July 19, 2022

@Jade Arana  / All - It was a pleasant surprise to see a few days ago that we can now view the length of each task on the roadmap, similar to what we have in the JWM (Jira Work Management) timeline.

The feature is called "Child level issue scheduling". 

Accessible via 'Project settings -> Board -> Roadmap'.

Child_level_issue_scheduling.JPG

Note: this was in a team-managed Jira Sofware project.

Like # people like this
Kristine Gemici July 19, 2022

Yes!!! I just realized this as well!! This is excellent!

Carlos Cifuentes January 31, 2023

Thanks for sharing!! This was the solution for me @Tapiwa Samkange :)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Maria
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 20, 2021

Hi @Jade Arana 
On behalf of the Planyway team, I'd like to suggest you try Planyway. You can schedule any types of issues on the timeline, stories too! And visualize them together with epics on one timeline. If any questions, I'll be happy to help ^_^

Jade Arana September 21, 2021

Oh, this sounds exactly what I need! I haven't added any apps to jira, How can I try it? Do you have a page or video tutorial?

Maria
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 22, 2021

Hi @Jade Arana 

We've recently updated our Quick Start Guide, it's all fresh and shiny :), please free to check that out and ask questions if any. And here's a short video to get familiar with the main features: Planyway for Jira.

I'm here to help, feel free to just ask questions in this thread 😉

Like Anna Michalska likes this
1 vote
Jacob Vu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2021

Hi @Jade Arana

Are you using the Roadmaps feature for Kanban boards?

Jacob

Jade Arana September 20, 2021

Yes I am!

Like Henry Dean likes this
Erwin Sloboda November 11, 2021

mee too

Morapeli Moupo February 25, 2022

yes i am

mathew-v March 7, 2022

Yes I am

Ted March 17, 2022

Yes! 

Henry Dean April 26, 2022

YES

John Kneeland June 10, 2022

Yes

0 votes
Rathesh Richards
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2022

Hi @Jade Arana , 
You can now view story-level issues with dates for Kanban projects - see this blog post for more details: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/What-s-new-in-the-Roadmap-view-I-m-so-glad-you-asked/ba-p/2077594

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events