How can I remove a project from a board?

Elif Alverson January 10, 2018

Hello, 

One of the users have created a kanban board and it shows 3 projects under configuration/projets in board section even though the filter query states only one project. How can I remove the two projects from this new board? 

Thank you.

Elif

image.png

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2018

What is your filter query? Does it accidentally include issues from the other project? Probably via an "OR" clause?

Filter query is  project = DES AND "Target Release" ~ A_win_1.0.0 OR "Target Release" ~ A_mac_1.0.0 ORDER BY cf[11200] ASC

These target releases are not being used by any other projects but DES. So, I am confused about these other projects are showing up on the configuration of this board?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

just for giggles and to rule it out...try this snippet of jql in your issue search advanced search - "Target Release" ~ A_mac_1.0.0 

what does it return?

I tried all these; 

"Target Release" ~ A_mac_1.0.0 

"Target Release" ~ A_win_1.0.0

"Target Release" ~ A_win_1.0.0 OR "Target Release" ~  A_mac_1.0.0 

All I get is the DES Project issues, nothing else shows up. 

Any ideas?

I noticed another issue here, when i run this query below all I see is the DES Issues with target release IonicFiles_mac_1.3.0. 

So the query does not function properly as well since it suppose to show no issues.  Is this a known issue that the query does not function with "OR" clause?

project = "TEST Project 2017"  AND  "Target Release" ~ IonicFiles_win_1.3.0 OR "Target Release" ~  IonicFiles_mac_1.3.0 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

@Elif Alverson, I don't have an immediate answer for you as I'm a bit confused by where you see "projects in board". I expect this is a Server instance which is different than what I see in cloud. I expect @Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist] will have some thoughts here. In the mean time if you can provide more info on where you are actually seeing this I can try to investigate further. That said, it might be quicker to simple delete and recreate the board. I have no idea how unrelated projects would be showing on the board in the first place. It sounds like no issues from other projects are actually displayed on the board or at least you have not convey that they appear.

@Jack Brickey , we use server and if you go to board/configure/general you will see the " projects in board ". See the attachment below .

I created another one for a different project to see if I will have the same issue. Here is what I am getting now.

Projects in board : The projects in this board cannot be listed because of the complexity of the board filter

Same exact filter query with a different project name:

Filter Query : project = "TEST Project 2017" AND "Target Release" ~ A_win_1.3.0 OR "Target Release" ~ A_mac_1.3.0 ORDER BY cf[11200] ASC

image.png

I have changed the project to DES and same issue occurs. I see 3 projects. So deleting and recreating the board does not help.

image.png

When I stop using " OR " clause for the filter query, it looks the way it should. Projects in board only shows the project in filter not the other ones which use the " target release " custom field. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

It clearly is a result of the ~ target release interpretation. I would focus on finding an alternate to that. 

@Jack Brickey , I tested and it is definatelly not about the " target release" interpretation. It is about the " OR" clause.

Here is the filter I am running :

project = DESKTOP AND status = open OR status = closed ORDER BY status DESC

and I see all the " open and closed " issues for all the projects not only for DES. 

So, if you use " OR" in the filter query ;  "projects in board"  field picks all the projects which use the field you picked for your filter in this case " open and closed".

I believe this needs to be corrected by Jira team. 

If you see my attachment below it says " this board contains 44 projects" . image.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

@Elif Alverson, you can certainly open a request w/ Support here 

sorry hit publish prematurely....

From your new filter "project = DESKTOP AND status = open OR status = closed ORDER BY status DESC" here is what I would expect to see in the actual issues displayed in the board:

• All DESKTOP issues in the OPEN status
  • All issues in CLOSED status for all projects

I would NOT expect to see OPEN issues for any project other than DESKTOP.

So if what you see is what I conveyed then it is working correctly. If not there is a bug.

I would not focus on the "project in board" in troubleshooting here but rather look at the resulting board and the specific issues that are contained.

Here is what I found if you use parenthesizes like ;

project = DES AND ( "Target Release" ~ IonicFiles_win_1.3.0 OR "Target Release" ~ IonicFiles_mac_1.3.0 ) 

Everything works the way it should be with " OR" clause. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

yep () are important. :-)

Thanks for your time and patience.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2018

Sorry I am late to the party here (long day!) but glad you figured it out.

Yes, the OR clause there did it for sure.

Suggest an answer