How can I prevent projects from sharing sprint access when moving stories between them.

Zane Magnus March 24, 2019

Hi, my company has multiple projects, and when we move a story from project A's backlog to project B's backlog, and then move that story into a sprint, Project A can access and modify that sprint. Can this be avoided? Thanks in advance for any help.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2019

Hello Zane,

Welcome to Atlassian community.

Just to confirm the order of the steps you took to reproduce the problem:

1 - Moved a Story to project A backlog to project B backlog

2 - You moved the Story in project B to a Sprint

3 - The sprint that was configured on Project B started to display in project A together with the issue and visible to be editable by anyone that can access project A.

Can you confirm if that's correct?

If it is, I think there is some kind of misconfiguration which is causing this problem, because it is not the default behavior of JIRA.

The default behavior that can cause a Sprint to cross projects happens when:

1 - Create the Story and add it to a Sprint in project A

2 - Move the issue to project B

3 - The Sprint previously created on Project A will appear in project B.

If that's the scenario you are facing, it is possible to clear the Sprint field for the issues before moving them to the target project to prevent this from happening. 

Could you double check if this is not the behavior you are facing? If it is not, can you please provide us the steps you took to reproduce the problem with screenshots so we can better understand it?

You can check more information and the possible workaround for the problem I mentioned checking the documentation below:

The same sprint is displayed across different scrum boards after moving an issue

Let me know if this information helps

Zane Magnus March 26, 2019

Hi Petterson,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the steps to reproduce the problem are the same ones that you've detailed for the default behaviour that can cause a Sprint to cross projects. As a result, I will try clearing the Sprint field for the issues before moving them to the target project in order to prevent this from happening again. I will also follow the link you provided for more information and the possible workaround for the problem. This definitely helps. Thank you again.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

You are welcome, Zane.

Have a nice week and let us know if you face any new questions regarding this behavior. :)

0 votes
marieamymitchell March 28, 2022

Hello!

Just found this thread as i think we have the same issue... a ticket has been moved from 1 project to another, but the sprint field was not removed before moving. Therefore the moved issue has created 'all sprints' and taken over the dashboard data (which now shows just the 1 issue and not the whole sprint). Would the issue have to be removed from sprint in order to correct this, or is there another way?

Thanks,

Marie

Suggest an answer