How can I load list of components to a new project?

Masha Givon May 28, 2018

I the previous Jira version there was an ability to load a list of components with their properties from a CSV file into new Jira project.

On this Jira version I can find an ability to add only 1 single component at a time.

Can someone assist?

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2018

Hello @Masha Givon

Please see here, from the official docs as to how you can import components from CSV file in an project

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-bulk-import-components-into-jira-720418562.html

Kimberley Maluegge September 27, 2018

When I follow Option 1 in that doc, I get errors that the component I'm trying to import " doesn't exist in this project and can't be added".

If I create a component manually (one at a time), then do an issue import using that same component, I have no failures.  So it appears you need a match for the import to work.

Like Olivier Grandjean likes this
Naomi Perez November 10, 2020

Hi Kimberly,

I'm getting the same issue trying to import new components into Jira. How did you fix this? It's unclear to me what you did from your answer. Thanks so much!

Kimberley Maluegge November 10, 2020

Naomi,

Wow, that was a while ago.  If I remember correctly, I had to make sure all my components were setup in my project first (and they have to exactly match [spelling & upper/lower case, etc.] the components you are trying to import).  Then do your import.

Steve Martin April 20, 2021

That import hasn't worked for me either.  It will load the issue, but not the components.  The warning is: 

• The component "XXXXXXX" doesn't exist in this project and can't be added
Gabriela Landó November 3, 2022

Hi, consider the comment in the article mentioned by Tarun:

• Please note that this solution only works when using the CSV import available from the page ⚙ > System Import & Export > External System Import, which only Jira Administrators can access.
  • If you use the CSV import available from the page Issues > Import issues from CSV, the suggestion from the KB article will not work, and components will not be imported due to the error "The component <Component 1> doesn't exist in this project and can't be added"

I did it using the 1st option, with a system admin user, and it worked.

Suggest an answer