How can I increase the Expiry time for my OAuth Token?

Raghav Mishra March 19, 2021

We're using an SSO to login our users to Jira and we're also using a custom portal that fetches issues from Jira. It does it by An Auth token that is received from the 3LO Auth code grant flow. ( Reference -01 ).

The Auth token I'm receiving is working as expected, but It's only valid for 3600 seconds by default. How can I increase the expiry time to a custom time of expiry. If it's not possible, How can I refresh this token without forcing my users to go through the same 3LO process of authenticating my app again. 

Authenticating my users every hour for an Auth token does not look like a good solution. Is there a solution that helps the user on my custom portal access their issues, with holding the token for a longer period? 

Token Details : 

{ 
access_token: {my_access_token},
scope: 'read:jira-work read:jira-user',
expires_in: 3600, // This is only 3600s. How can I increase this time?
token_type: 'Bearer'
}

References :

1. Community Question

2. Implementing 3LO

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2021

Hello @Raghav Mishra 

It sounds like you're using the access token, not the refresh token. This topic is covered in a number of other threads, such as this one:

Raghav Mishra March 21, 2021

Hey @David Bakkers 
Thanks. This was really useful. Here is the solution to refresh tokens for quick reference  (for anyone who comes across this post) 

Like 灿若星辰 likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events