How can I have multiple independent boards for a single project?

Stephen Blower October 14, 2012

I am currently managing a single project that I've come in on after 3 months and what I'm wanting to do is use my own personal Kanban board for managing all issues be they closed or in any other state.

However the problem I am finding is that on my board I have 5 swim lanes with 7 status, and when I move an issue to a particular swim lane and status the status is is also changed on the developers and testers board which I don't want to happen.

The reason I need this ability is because the project hasn't been managed affectively with regards to documentation and test coverage so at the moment there is no way of being able to determine clearly what work has been completed, documented or in use by the QA team.

This is an Automation project and what I have found that although a significant amount of Automation has been completed most isn't actually being used by QA due to failing with the last steps of the process and documenting the Automation and then ensuring its being used by QA.

So I currently have nearly 200 completed and closed issues of work that I now need to go through and organise them on my own board, this will include reopening issues and then moving them through various status of Documented, More Info Required, In QA, In Use BY QA etc.

However; after creating my own board and thinking that all issues shown with their various status where particular to my own board, but this is not the case as when I’ve moved an issue from say “in Progress” to “Documented” then this status also changes on the Developers board, which interferers with their workflows.

Therefore is there a way for me to have my own board with my own status’s without affecting the developer’s board and status?

I realise that if I re-open a closed issue then it’s shown as open for all, but If I move the issue to a different status and swim lane after that then I want it to stay in the Done column for the developers whilst I progress the issue through as required.

Or will I have to clone all the issues? Which I'd rather not do.

Thanks

Is this related to my above question: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-2391

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Blower October 22, 2012

The best way I have found to manage this project is to add extra status's, therefore I can then retain my own board and the progress flow after developer has finished moves to my board where I manage the individual issues from.

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2012

I'm afraid that the issue can only have one status. If anyone moves a ticket, then its status will necessarily change for all viewers. This is how we keep the team on the same page.

That said, you could work around this by grouping statuses together into the same column, so that changing from one status to another does not result in a visual move. Otherwise, you might consider Labels for tickets that requires special attention (swimlanes can be used to identify labels using JQL).

Suggest an answer