How can I give access to a project board/backlog to an external user?

Emmanuel Manios October 3, 2019

Hi JIRA community!

My colleagues and I have been having a peculiar issue where we've granted project access to an external consultant, but the user cannot access the board or backlog page within the project.  Again, they're able to access the project and tickets within the project.

The user is part of an isolated group that we've created in our JIRA system, which in turn was given access to the project.

The group was granted the same permissions level as a standard user who have access to the project and can access the board and backlog page.

We've turned over practically every page of the cloud platform permissions and scheme management trying to source if this was a permissions issue, or if there's data being pulled from other projects that may be causing a permissions conflict, but to no avail.  

We'd appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,

Emmanuel

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

Hello,

Boards use filters to show issues, maybe that user doesn't have permission to view that filter specifically. This is the only thing that I can think of what causes that kind of issue.

Regards.

Elifcan

Hi Elifcan!

We though it was permissions related as well, possibly related to the filter shares.

For whatever reason we're unable to edit the board share, even though my colleague and I are org admins.

Would the board owner be the only one able to edit the board/filter shares?

Best,

Emmanuel

Like Maridali Gonzalez likes this
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

Hello,

Yes, I checked now at our own Jira Cloud instance and the board owner is the only person who can edit board shares. You can check with the board owner and it if it doesn't work, we can think of another solution.

Regards,

Elifcan 

Success!!

Thank you so much Elifcan.

I was able to login as the owner and add the project group.

Cheers!

Emmanuel

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2019

Hi, glad I could help :) 

Best, 

Elifcan 

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2019

Hi @Emmanuel Manios

Can the user see the board? Or does it state he doesn't have the right to view it?

Boards are a visualisation of a filter, rather than being based on a project's permissions. This is how to check if that user has access to view the filter:

• Go to the Board and click Options (3-dots in upper-right)
  • Select Board Settings
  • In General, click Edit Filter Shares
  • Ensure the share settings allow for that user to see the board - for example, if it's set to just a specific user group which they're not part of as an external consultant - this could be the reason

I would advise changing the Filter Shares settings to be shared with users who have permission to view the Project. This would future-proof the resolution.

If this isn't the issue, let us know so we can assist further :)

Ste

Hi Stephen!

Thanks for you prompt reply. 

The user is getting the following error: "Board not found: You tried to access a board that doesn't exist or that you don't have permissions to see".

When we checked the board settings -> filter shares, we actually don't have the ability to edit them.  Odd because my colleague and I are both Organizational admins.  Is it possible that the owner of the board is solely able to edit the filter shares?

Best,

Emmanuel

Suggest an answer