How can I get linked issue's custom field value?

Mahima Srivastav July 30, 2021

When an Issue A is linked to Issue B with Issue link type-XYZ, I would like to:

• Fill some custom field values of Issue A into Issue B
  • Fill some custom field values of Issue B into Issue A

Is this possible?/

Use Case:

If I have two projects, one for recruitment and another for onboarding, I want to take in employee data from the recruitment project and enter it in the onboarding project when the employee joins. I would link the recruitment issue and then jira automation can take in the employee data into onboarding.

How can I do this?

2 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2021

While I'm not sure that your solution is the best for the use case, there are several apps that sync issues by copying file values between them.

See: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?product=jira&query=sync

As an alternative, I'd consider using Insight and model employees as Insight objects. For example, you can create an object for an employee and then reference this from any issue via the "asset" custom field. Then you created the information only once, no need to sync and it will be uptodate everywhere.

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2021

Hi @Mahima Srivastav

Why don't you create a manual rule, which upon running it, it will create a ticket on the onboarding project, while copying any value you want from the recruitment project? Is this a solution that may work, or you want to do it in the way you proposed?

Alex

For some type of projects, this solution would work. But in most projects, the user would already have an issue that they are working and would have to search for the issues to link them because the issue would be at an intermediary stage

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

You can then do this, but it will require to create a global rule, which comes with certain limitations. What kind of plan are you working on?

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

However, here's what this rule would look like (this rule should be created inside the RECRUITMENT project):

rule_copy.png

Change the link type (blocks in my example) to anything you want. Change as well the fields you want to copy, using the "copy from Trigger Issue" option.

On the rule details, don't forget to change the scope to MULTIPLE projects, and then choose the two projects.

rule_multiple.png

Finally, keep in mind that global rules have limitations (ready my previous comment). If my answer satisfy your question, please mark it as accepted, in order to help others inside the community.

Alex

We are currently on a Standard license. I guess its not possible for that license.

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

You have 500 executions per month

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2021

Hi @Mahima Srivastav

Kindly consider to accept my answer, to help other people within this community (if this answer suit your needs of course).

Thanx,
Alex

Suggest an answer