How can I get email address from changed field

Jose Cardos September 18, 2020

I have an automation which sends an email when a field is assigned to their name, that works ok, I get the user from the field, I send the mail to {{myField.emailAddress}} and evevrything is beautiful.

I have a problem though, telling the previous user that they have been unassigned, as I try smart values like {{fieldChange.from}} or even {{changeLog.myField.from}}, but it returns the user account id, where I'm unable to extract the email address. I tested the usual suspects as {{fieldChange.from.emailAddress}}, {{fieldChange.from}}{{emailAddress}} and about another million combinations.

Does anybody know where I can find the email address from the pre-change user?

Thank you very much,

2 answers

0 votes
Joshua Wyss November 16, 2022

@Jose Cardos did you ever solve this? I'm trying to do the same thing now.

0 votes
wwalser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2020

It appears that the smart value in the fieldChange event come either from Jira's change log which seems to only contain the string representation of the user id.

One thing you could try is to assign that user id to a temporary field and use that field to lookup the full user object, sending an email using that. Bit of a hack, but it may work. 

A better solution is for automation to implement this feature request: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-725

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events