How can I get an event date change to all child issues?

Lisa Mills April 18, 2023

One of the fields we are using is "Event Date". This is something that is then repeated in each child issue. How can I set it to where I set it on the parent and it just automatically updates it throughout the child issues?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Hello @Lisa Mills 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

What types of issues are these? Are they Epics with child issues? Are they Stories/Tasks with subtasks?

The basic structure of the rule would be

Trigger: field value changed: Event Date
Condition: Issue Type = (the "parent" issue type for your scenario)
Branch: (depends on the types of the parent and child issues)
Action: Edit Issue
Field: Event Date
Copy from Trigger Issue
Lisa Mills April 21, 2023

I tried this but it didn't seem to work. If it helps we have it broken down like this: Each "Epic" is a month, within each month is any campaigns, events, or projects we're running (this is for marketing), then with each campaign is each "child issue" that includes all the tasks for that campaign. Both the parent (or campaign in this instance), and the individual tasks (child issues), have standard information, which includes the date of the event or beginning of the campaign. we use an "Event Date" field for this. I tried inputting the automation rule you outlined above, but it didn't seem to actually run down. I want to be able to input the event date, and that changes for all the individual tasks within it. Where the purple icon is, I tried the rule with that set as parent, then with it set as sub-task, and neither worked... Screenshot 2023-04-21 100324.png

Lisa Mills April 21, 2023

Never mind! I figured out what I missed... I didn't have it set to the "triggered" issue. Thank you!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2023

Can you describe the issue hierarchy?

It sounds like you have

Epic
|-- Campaigns, Events, Projects (What are the actual issue types of these items?)
|-- child "tasks" (What are the actual issue types of these items?)

The default issue hierarchy in Jira is

Epic
|-- base level issues (i.e. Story, Bug, Task)
|-- subtask type issues

Are you using that hierarchy to create the parent/child relationships between the issues, or are you using generic issue linking to artificially create a parent/child relationship?

At which level are you setting Event Date?

To which level are you trying to copy that data?

Can you provide a screen image of an issue where you want to set the Event Date, where that image also shows the "child" issues that you want to have automatically updated?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events