How can I force default text in a custom field is changed by a user before transitioning an issue?

Miles Monty October 28, 2022

Hi everyone,

I have a custom field that gives people template text to prompt them to provide more information before transitioning an issue to QA. 

I'd like to use a validator or check somehow to make sure that people have actually changed the text, but the 'Field has been modified Validator' isn't working, I think because it already has default text in. 

Any suggestions for solutions? 

Thanks in advance,

Miles 

2 answers

1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2022

Hi @Miles Monty 

If you have a custom field with a default value, and the specific validator isn't working then what I would do, is to add another validator that the field shouldn't be equal to the default value. This validation and your modified validation should have an AND logical union. The above would probably work during issue creation but most likely not during another transition. 

Do you have any app installed on you instance, like JMWE?

Miles Monty February 10, 2023

Hey @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ firstly thanks for your response and many apologies for my terribly slow one! 

I'm having trouble with this part of your suggestion: 

"add another validator that the field shouldn't be equal to the default value" 

I can't see anything in the validator list that would allow me to do that. All I can see along these lines is: 

- Field has been modified (this is the one I used, which didn't work) 

- Field required (This one won't work because having default text in it voids it)

Regarding our installed apps, yes we have a few, but not the automation one you suggested. 

0 votes
Gideon Nieuwoudt April 25, 2023

Hi Miles, I've run into the same problem - any chance you found an answer? :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events