How can I filter Epics by project with Greenhopper 6.1.7?

Anja Herzog January 29, 2013

I have a Board with multiple projects assigned to. I have created Quick Filters to view a specific (or a group of specific) project(s) issues only. Unfortunately, this does ignore the new Epic panel. How can create a filter that also takes into account my Epic panel?

Example:

I have projects A, B, C, D and E in my board with issue types User Story, Bug and Epic.

Quick View 'Team Eagle' only shows the issues of projects A, B and C, but also shows the Epics of D and E in the panel. How can I get rid of Epics of project D and E in the panel when I filter on A, B and C only?

Your help is very much appreciated, it drives my teams crazy!

9 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2013

I think it is not implemented :( Should raise a bug for that.

2 votes
Tom Vercellotti February 6, 2013

we too need this ability to query all of the epics and their associated sub stories and tasks

For example:

Epic A

-- Story 1

---Story 2

-------Task 1

-------Task 2

Epic B

We want to be able to see a burn down chart for the work remaining for Epic A and exclude any work for Epic B. So would expect to see Epic A, Story 1, Story 2, Task 1 and Task 2 in the result set.

1 vote
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2015

We ran into a similar problem trying to show only epics related to issues that appeared in a RapidBoard's backlog, current or future sprints. To do this we used Jamie Echlin's script runner plugin and the following RapidBoard query:

Simple Rapid Board based on single project:

project = "My Project" or issueFunction
in linkedIssuesOf("
project = 'My Project' and (sprint is empty or
Sprint in (opensprints(), futuresprints()))", "has Epic") order by Rank
ASC

'Complex' RapidBoard based on multiple projects

filter="Complex RapidBoard Filter" or issueFunction
in linkedIssuesOf("filter='Complex RapidBoard Filter' and (sprint is empty or
Sprint in (opensprints(), futuresprints()))", "has Epic") order by Rank
ASC

This approach allows us to utilize the same rapid board filter syntax (changing the project name) and only shows the Epics that are associated with issues which are in the backlog, a future sprint, or a current sprint.

Note that applying this filter to a RapidBoard that was built automatically by JIRA Agile for a single project could result in displaying fewer Epics than the Board shows now - this is because the Epics which do not appear are not associated with any issues in your Board's backlog or current/future sprints.

Hope that helps someone.

-wc

1 vote
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2013

Maybe this is what you're looking for:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7174

Cheers

Simone Longoni September 19, 2013

Yes! This is definitely a good beginning.. in alternative/addition, I would have expected to be given the possibility to have Epics to obey to the global Board filters. Thanks again, Simone

0 votes
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017
0 votes
Kirk Sadler May 12, 2016

Here is the enhancement request that everyone should vote on - GHS-6949

0 votes
Simone Longoni September 18, 2013

Christian,

it seems that no one has yet raised the issue... Could you please proceed?

I am definitely missing such feature... :-(

Thanks a lot, Simone

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2013

Hey, has anyone raise an improvement issue or a bug? If not I'll do it ...

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

hi.

can you post the jql you use for the "Team Eagle" Quickfilter?

you may want to extend it with "AND project NOT IN (D,E)"

or simply use

project in (A,B,C) AND issue-type = "EPIC"

depends on what exactly you need to filter(out)

Hi,

here are two filter examples:

Team#1: project in ("Me Portal") ORDER BY Rank ASC

Team#2: project in (Answers, Community) ORDER BY Rank ASC

I use the filters to show a certain subset of issues in the board. It works perfectly fine with all issue types except the Epics which are in the separate Panel now.

I doubt that NOT IN will help as it seems the JQL is ignored by the Panel but I will give it a try.

Best regards

Hi,

just one remark: I don't want to see the Epics only, I want to see all issues (and all issue types) for one or more specific projects.

Hope that clarifies my issue a bit better.

Thanks.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

so you just wanna hide Team#1s issues from Team#2 while both teams using the same board right?

in that case using labels or a new custom_field could help

which jira version is that? don't know exactly wich release brought " in (membersOf(<GROUP>))" to JQL but this can help filtering for i.e. assignees or reporters from a jira-group

We're on JIRA 5.1.8. Let me check if that helps.

This is pretty weird... It really also shows only the Epics of the projects you filtered on? If so, I will start testing the latest JIRA release as it's the only difference.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

well i got no chance to test in 5.1.8 atm cause i only stress upcomming releases. sorry bout that.

But.

i tried in 5.2.5

rapidbord TEST using 3 projects.

filter > project in (A,B,C) ORDER BY Rank ASC

on the TEST board i added Quickfilter "B only" with

jql > project not in (A,C)

Result OK

also tried

jql > project = B

Result OK

5.2.5 using GH 6.1.2

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

i didn't set a specific issue-type i want to see only...but if i use

project = B AND issue-type = "New Feature"

i will only see projectB "new features"

With Greenhopper 6.1 the Epics were moved to a Panel left to the Board. The QuickFilters work for all issue types which are not Epics and therefore shown in the Board but not for Epics. It always shows all Epics to me (in the Panel). Can you confirm that your filter also filters the Epics in the panel? I just tried with the issuetype filter and it doesn't make a difference, it just doesn't show any issue in the Board but all Epics of all projects in the panel.

Thanks so much for your support!

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

hmm i tested on a KANBAN board not using EPICS....will try that later using scrum & epics.

Anja Herzog January 30, 2013

Hi,

have you had the chance to test it already?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

hey anja.

no unfortunately i didn't find time yet.

but i believe the reason is that the epic panel is not checking for issue-type (epic). it is using the new epic-label stuff.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/87878/how-can-i-filter-my-greenhopper-scrum-template-backlog-by-project-component

epic panel seems to include every epic data thats from your rapid board. cross project

Anja Herzog January 31, 2013

hi,

this is what I was wondering about. to me it doesn't make any sense to be able to filter the other issue types but not the Epics, specially as those are still part of a project, too. however, thanks a lot for your input, i will need to raise a bug with Atlassian for this.

Jeff Habel February 28, 2013

I'm running into the same problem.

I have a board that covers multiple projects and we wind up with dozens of Epics in the Epic panel using the Plan view. When I'm meeting with the project owner of A I'd like to be able to show only the Epics that relate to Project A in the Epic Panel. I've tried various ways of filtering but nothing seems to filter the Epic Panel list.

Suggest an answer