How can I enable ranking but still use a custom filter query?

Jim Dalton August 31, 2018

I have a custom filter query for my board that looks like the following:

ORDER BY resolutiondate DESC, Rank ASC

In other words, if a ticket has a resolution date, this value overrides the rank in the display order. This allows us to view our "Done" column with the most recently completed on top, but to preserve the ranking order in all other columns (since these do not yet have a resolution date.)

This proved to be an excellent solution -- until we realized we could no longer use the drag and drop "Rank" feature, since it was disabled.

Is there a way to manually re-enable the Ranking feature?

If not, could Atlassian please consider that so long as "Rank" is _included_ in the ORDER BY clause, users probably want to have the Ranking feature enabled? Trying to "guess" when a customer wants to have a feature disabled does not always result in a satisfactory experience.

1 answer

1 vote
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2018

HI @Jim Dalton,

unfortunately ranking works on its own and you cannot do that. It's because the scrum and kanban boards are based on the agile methodology.

However maybe a workaround could be to use custom swimlanes. It's not as gradual but you could highlight some categories.

What do you think?

Jim Dalton August 31, 2018

Thanks for your reply.

As can be seen from the filter query, we are using the rank field as an order criterion. I agree that user-controlled rank attribute is a valuable capability in a scrum practice.

Our problem is more specific to the fact that the ranking feature is disabled -- even though we are still intentionally using rank in our filter query. If the feature were simply enabled, then we could continue to work in the agile manner we prefer.

Suggest an answer