How can I enable "Estimate" filed on a custom issue type?

Remus Avram January 7, 2022

Hi all,

I created a new custom issue type. In the scrum board, all the existing issue types have the filed "Estimate", but not the custom one. Do you know where is the configuration to enable this?

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 18.42.29.png

Jira server version: (v8.8.1#808001-sha1:e5cdcf9)

Thank you,

Remus

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

Can you go to project settings > screens and ensure that you have time estimation on the edit screen for your Issuetype?

Hi @Jack Brickey 

what should I click here? 

Do you have some docs how this works?

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 14.07.40.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

Can you go to your backlog, find a Maintenance issue and select it. on the right sidebar if OE is not displayed then click Configure as shown below.

2022-01-07_09-58-32.jpg

in the next screen see if you find OE anywhere. Maybe a hidden field? If it is no where to be found then it is not hey in your screen scheme I think.

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2022

Hey @Jack Brickey 

Can you please post a screenshot for server jira, i also dont have server jira instance setup. From Remus screenshots i see that they are n server jira.

Regards,

Vishwas

Hi @Jack Brickey , 

we are currently using "Estimate" filed for the existing tasks, not the "Original Estimate" field. Curious, do you know what is the difference between these 2 fields?

If I click on the "Configure" (which I think it's related to your screen-share), I see this:

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 16.19.55.png

Even if I have all selected, I still don't have the "Estimate" filed in the scrum board.

Best, Remus

This is the scrum conf for the story points:

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 16.39.26.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

First, I suspect that someone has created a custom field called "Estimate". If you are using Story Points for estimation, as illustrated in your boards Estimation view, then you should have "Story Points" as the field where you place your estimate. To confirm go to admin>issues>custom fields and search for Estimate. If this is the case I think you need to find out why that is being done and understand that it likely is unwise. Now maybe things have changed in later version and what you see is simply different than what I am experienced with. BTW, I also note you have Time Tracking off so assume you will not be using that feature.

As an FYI, Regarding Original Estimate, that is used if you are using Time estimation vs. Story Points.

Note in the second image where you show Configure Fields, you can click "where is my field?" and it will guide you a bit.

I will also direct you here as a good source of info - estimate-an-issue 

Just a heads up, I will be rather occupied with work related items the rest of the day and may not be able to get back to you in a timely manner. I will do my best to check back in later today.

Like Vishwas likes this

Thanks for the hints @Jack Brickey 

It doesn't looks like "Estimate" is a custom filed 

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 18.09.21.png

When I click "where is my field?", I get this message:

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 18.31.03.png

"The 'Story Points' field is not present on the form you are viewing"  - how can I add this "form" to add the 'Story Points' to it? 

Remus Avram January 10, 2022

Does anyone has any idea?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

in the image you posted on Jan 7 above w/ all of the checkboxes you can check "Story points"...

2022-01-10_12-34-41.jpg

Hi @Jack Brickey ,

as I mentioned in my previous post, "Story Points" is missing from the "Maintenance" issue type. When I click "where is my field?", I get "The 'Story Points' field is not present on the form you are viewing"  - how can I add this "form" to add the 'Story Points' to it? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Remus, sorry I thought the above image was captured when you were creating/editing a Maintenance issue. TBH, I'm a bit lost on this thread and hope I have not created more confusion for you. In any event it is difficult for me to troubleshoot what is going on without directly accessing your instance which would not be available option. If you have another Organization admin it might be a good option to discuss this with them.

Hi @Jack Brickey ,

I totally understand. For me it looks like I need a degree in order to be able to setup Jira workflows. I was expecting to be something easy... 

I am going to look into other ticket systems as well. 

Thank you for all the support. Really appreciated.

Best, Remus

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2022

Hey @Remus Avram 

Welcome to Atlassian Community !!

You have to add Field called "Time Tracking" to the screens(create,edit,view) of the newly created issue type. Then you can see "Estimate" and "Remaining Estimate" fields on the tickets.

Regards,

Vishwas

Hi Vishwas,

thank you for your quick reply. 

I failed to find where this configuration is. Do you by any chance has a link to the documentation how to do it?

Regards, Remus

When I go to Issues -> Screens  - there is nothing to configure the Issue Types.

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2022

Hey @Remus Avram 

No issues, let me guide you.

Navigate to Project Settings --> Screens there you will see "Screen Scheme"

like this

Screenscheme.png

Then click on the screen like "Create issue", "Edit issue", "View Screen" and field like this

Field_serach.png

Hope this helps !!

Regards,

Vishwas

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2022

This is the doc https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-issue-screens/ but this for cloud Jira, but applicable to jira server too.

Thank you @Vishwas  for guiding me. The "Time tracking" is already there.

The "Estimate" filed is showing for all the default issue types, but not the new created one. 

Hi @Vishwas , we have the same fields for the "Task" issue type as the "Maintenance" issue type. However, the "Estimate" filed in the scrum board is missing for the "Maintenance" issue type.

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2022

Hey @Remus Avram 

Can you try editing the newly created issues and add value for "Original Estimate" field ?

So then it should appear as Estimate value.

Regards,

Vishwas

Hi @Vishwas ,

if I try to edit the new created issue, I have limited fields

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 15.46.14.png

Or I am looking at the wrong configuration?

Best, Remus

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2022

Hi @Remus Avram 

Not in the Issue types, Can you please go to the newly created tickets and edit them.

the Edit button in the each ticket there find "Original Estimate" .

Like this one, and fill it. After that please check in the scrum board

Original_estimate.png

Regards,

Vishwas

Hi @Vishwas ,

I added a value to the "Original Estimate", but still in the scrum board, it doesn't show "Estimate" value for the new issue type tasks. 

Suggest an answer