How can I do this workflow in JIRA ?

Jenny Qu June 25, 2021

Hello, I have a board that I set up for gather request. 

First I have 5 boards (1 gather request, 4 boards for developments since I have 4 teams) 

I want in that gather request board, the user can pick up component based on which team they want ask to help. Then Product Owner/Development Lead might want to create a button said - generate backlog - then it will create the relevant issues (clone issues) from request board to the relevant board. 

Any article - function - video. I can take a look at it ? Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Ibrahim Ghalghay June 27, 2021

If I got you correctly, I suggest you use Automation Rule and custom fields

1- create a custom fields in which you specify the teams.

2- create an automation rule that is triggered upon issue edit, with condition on this Custom field.

3- let the user choose the team they want to ask...

4- the automation rule will be triggered and will move/clone the issue for you, or run the actions you want...

Regards;

Ibrahim

Jenny Qu June 27, 2021

I think my workflow as below: 

1.  Request board  -  Ticket 111, pick component is Squad A  

2.  Click "Generated Backlog" field in request board 

3.  All the relevant ticket 111 information has been clone to Squad A board become Squad A ticket 46 (over there the developer can implement the updates)

4.  At the same time, the Request board ticket 111, status should be updated from "Open" - "Backlog generated" and maybe later depends on tickets 46 will be updated. 

Ibrahim Ghalghay June 28, 2021

sounds clear.

and the component suggestion is better than mine (custom field)

so the suggested solution is automation rule (manually triggered one, you have to research how to call it from the mentioned button) which will clone the task, edit component, link issues (tasks) transmit them between statuses...

another automation rule to update the original task (111) upon any change done on the linked (cloned) ticket 46

regards;

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2021

You can’t do this via say a button. However, the user can simply edit an issue in the gather board and add the component. If you configured the dev boards based on the appropriate component then the edited issue will now appear in the dev board. Your gather board should include something like - and components is empty in the board filter. 

Jenny Qu June 27, 2021

Thanks. Any article I can read to teach me how to implement this ? 

I think my workflow as below: 

1.  Request board  -  Ticket 111, pick component is Squad A  

2.  Click "Generated Backlog" field in request board 

3.  All the relevant ticket 111 information has been clone to Squad A board become Squad A ticket 46 (over there the developer can implement the updates)

4.  At the same time, the Request board ticket 111, status should be updated from "Open" - "Backlog generated" and maybe later depends on tickets 46 will be updated. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2021

It is pretty straightforward. Basically you want to add something like the following JQL snippet to your current board filters.

gather board - AND components is empty

dev boards - AND components = dev1

You will modify your dev boards so that the correct component is specified.

note is important to realize that this only works if your team is religious about using the component Field correctly.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events